Moving on a yellow light

96AccordCoupe

Road Burner
Car
1996 Accord Coupe
Ok so I have a bad habit of engaging the clutch at yellow lights instead of waiting for green.

I'm sure a lot of you do it as I see everyone around here do it. I think it's just impatience or fear of the person behind looking at the lights and not the car... anyways to the point.

I was sitting at these lights and this chavved up Rover hatch (funnily enough a different one to the one in my last post!), don't think it was an MG, started revving and letting the clutch slip a bit so it juts forward.

Basically this tit wanted a little race.

Now I don't condone street racing but seeing as the distance from these lights to the next set was about 200m and there were no adjoining roads, ao there was no chance of high speeds or t-boning cars. I figured it would be pretty safe in my split second risk assessment.

So the light turns yellow, I give it 4k and drop the clutch.

Regardless of the fact the Rover driver bogged down before he got off the line demonstrating his 'mad skillz' behind the wheel, he decided to pull alongside me and scream obscenities about cheating LOL

I didn't have enough time to get into a debate, but the way I see it. If I left at yellow or a millisecond later on green, his car would still be slow.

Anyways... I kinda lost the point of this thread a little, end of the day, tired lol...

So how's about this.... if you were at the lights and some chav in a crapmobile pulls up alongside and beckons to see which car can rag a clutch faster, what would you do?

And assuming you don't go all Back to the Future and slam it in reverse to confuse him, would you go on yellow?

Oh and don't flame, we've all done it. (Ok maybe not all *thinks of his nan*)

I like to catch people totally unaware. Ignore then, snick it into first, hold the revs steady, yawn, look the other way and then smoke him when the lights change! (I'll wait for green and will only accelerate at a safe steady pace without wheelspinning. Then pretend you still haven't noticed him - it really winds them up!)

The feeling you get having left someone behind you at the lights is also good.

Phew, that post was a relief. I was expecting half a dozen comments like...

"You're the chav"

"Be funny when you kill someone"

"Someone ban this joker"

A lot of folks like to act like the big man when it comes to spirited driving and acting all innocent themselves.

I agree though, the pretend you dont care race is always good.

I tend to use that when I'm up against a car that I know I won't beat but want to gauge how close it could be.

Plus in these instances I make of point of pulling back at the relevent speed limit. I'd feel pretty bad if the "moron" continued at an unsafe speed and hit someone.

*nods* Tis a good point.

A Fiat Uno turbo flew past me once on the A500, showing off to his mates.

A woman in the left lane changed lanes not seeing him until the last minute as he was going so fast and very nearly touched him. She panicked and pulled hard in the other direction, ended up snaking back and forth before the whole car swung round to face the traffic.

Luckily everyone stopped in time and even the Fiat driver pulled over as he was pretty shaken up.

I guess they both learnt a lesson that day.

and I bet he pulls away on Yellow! *cackles*

Then pretend you still haven't noticed him - it really winds them up!)

Bang on - that's exactly how I do it. They get more irritated if they think your not trying. Had an integra Type-R try and out do me from the lights which release you onto the motorway slip road a while back and I played exactly this game :p

if im in my truck and its a "Ricer" (all show with hardly any go) ill just smoke my swampers on em. fun to watch the color drain away when all 4 44" tires are spinning right next to em. in the other vehicles i don't really care. you want to prove something meet me on the track or the strip otherwise you can stuff your tailpipe somewhere i won't mention.

I'd pay to see it! :lol:

I can't help but watch the opposing lights when I see them go to amber, I'm already selecting gear. :amuse:

I like the lights on some roundabout's where you have little stops on the island. So there's a few seconds delay to the next light & it pays to pull away gently from the first (letting the idiot next charge towards a red light) & wait for the second set to change, when of course you now have a rolling start & can clear all the traffic in one go. :)

As soon as amber is there I'm gone! On just about every light I'm gone on amber. Had 3 Corsa's have a go from the lights last night but none on them stood a chance cause soon as I saw amber I was gone. One of the drivers in a Corsa B tried overtaking the VXR corsa that was behind me on the wrong side of the road. Absolute fools i'll tell you.
Still didn't catch me though. I'd got a good enough run on them so none of them caught me up. ;)

I like the lights on some roundabout's where you have little stops on the island. So there's a few seconds delay to the next light & it pays to pull away gently from the first (letting the idiot next charge towards a red light) & wait for the second set to change, when of course you now have a rolling start & can clear all the traffic in one go. :)

haha, that's excellent..

Yes there is an island around here just off the m1's junction 27 that allows you to do that. It's great to see the other drivers face when he/she knows they've been done. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'd pay to see it! :lol:

I can't help but watch the opposing lights when I see them go to amber, I'm already selecting gear. :amuse:

yep wolvo has quite a few islands like this but ive learned the sequences now so look out for a black leon :p

you all are lucky. almost anywhere that i used to live had red light cameras. they were set to take your pic if you stopped to close to the intersection or if you entered it before green. so annoying. Half the time they didn't even look at the pics and just send ya a ticket for running a red. i wish i had islands but no luck. closest we have are 4 way stops on single lane roundabouts.

yep wolvo has quite a few islands like this but ive learned the sequences now so look out for a black leon :p

My favourite is at Bilston coming past the market & straight over the island up the Black country route.
I'd keep an eye for you but, all cars look alike when their just a dot in my rear view mirror :toung::lol:

My favourite is at Bilston coming past the market & straight over the island up the Black country route.
I'd keep an eye for you but, all cars look alike when their just a dot in my rear view mirror :toung::lol:

I'll also look for you in my rear view mate. ;):lol:

yep i know that 1 well you get to the first island you can stay in the right lane to go straight on (middle lane) then you get to the second island you need to get in the left lane to get in the middle lane to go straight on ive caught many an idiot out on that 1 trying to race me :lol:

That's the bunny :mrgreen:, have you noticed you can just see the lights change for the road coming out of Bilston so you know exactly when the 2nd set change. A fun stretch of road that! :bigsmile: