Torque Cars

Mk5 TDI170 upgrades

Discussion in 'Golf' started by Aerial Andy944, 21 August 2013.

1. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Cheers Rob, I do try to keep a full tank of fuel of one specific brand where possible. Unfortunately the Beast loves petrol like a Merchant Seaman loves Navy Rum. So on occasion I have to top up with what's nearest at the time but it is always with Super Unleaded.

RobBentley likes this.
  2. Aerial Andy944

Aerial Andy944 The Torque Meister

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    New discs and pads fitted to front and rear today. Went with genuine VW items in the end as couldn't see how vented , grooved etc discs were going to help me for the style of driving I do. The Golf already has 312mm front discs with ABS, EBD, BAS, TCS. Lot of acronyms to help stop me if I need to.
    So now save up for remap in New year.
    I've read the guide to induction kits on here and if I'm looking at 200hp Mark with the remap would this help things along or is it still £300 for little gain at this power level. There's a VW Racing panel filter already fitted when I did a service earlier on. http://www.awesomegti.com/parts/eng...wagen-racing-intake-system-vw-golf-mk5-2-0tdi

3. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
  4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
  5. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Every time I go on that site I get a new idea or want a new part for my car! I must resist!

Resistance is futile!

6. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Any ideas on the cold air ram intake guys? If it helps a lot then I'll put it on before remap. If it isn't going to do much I'll go ahead with remap.

7. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    They only have a minor effect at speeds of 70mph and above, and on a diesel I doubt even that is noticeable. Don't bother, the standard airboxes flow very well indeed on these, you wont gain a thing with an upgrade.

Aerial Andy944 likes this.
  8. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Thanks Waynne, kind of thought that. I need a lot more power adding before needing this and I think the Miltek exhaust is going to be the same. I have a VW Racing panel filter already so, set for a trip to Robs in New year then. Do you think a Dyno custom tune will see anymore gains or go the route your way and remap remotely?

9. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Dyno tunes are helpful if you have other mods or you want to push the engine to it's absolute limits. Personally the standard remaps are more than enough, I doubt you could tell between a dyno map and generic map on such a popular car in day to day driving.

Robs race map is very very good indeed, uses a bit more fuel though but not loads! The standard performance maps are insane, I'm getting wheelspin in 3rd at 3000rpm on dry roads in mine and it's only the base 140!

Is yours the CR or PD engine?

10. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    PD 170 BMN engine code. I know they have insane 25000psi injector pressure (*˘︶˘*)