Mk5 TDI170 upgrades

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Every time I go on that site I get a new idea or want a new part for my car! I must resist!

Resistance is futile!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
They only have a minor effect at speeds of 70mph and above, and on a diesel I doubt even that is noticeable. Don't bother, the standard airboxes flow very well indeed on these, you wont gain a thing with an upgrade.

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
From
Sunny South Somerset UK
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
Thanks Waynne, kind of thought that. I need a lot more power adding before needing this and I think the Miltek exhaust is going to be the same. I have a VW Racing panel filter already so, set for a trip to Robs in New year then. Do you think a Dyno custom tune will see anymore gains or go the route your way and remap remotely?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Dyno tunes are helpful if you have other mods or you want to push the engine to it's absolute limits. Personally the standard remaps are more than enough, I doubt you could tell between a dyno map and generic map on such a popular car in day to day driving.

Robs race map is very very good indeed, uses a bit more fuel though but not loads! The standard performance maps are insane, I'm getting wheelspin in 3rd at 3000rpm on dry roads in mine and it's only the base 140!

Is yours the CR or PD engine?