Mk5 TDI170 upgrades

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
OK I've sold my Skyline GTR and have to use my children chariot as my fun car aswell. Now the 170TDI engine is great as an effortless cruiser but not very exciting. Panel filter and custom remap is being booked for a power hike to around 200hp(ish) gain with a more flexible response and hopefully bigger power band. Question - can the RPM range be increased, I seem to remember reading the Scirocco TDI had a 5000rpm red line. Is it as major a job to get nearer to 250+hp as it is with petrol engine i.e need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, FPR, boost pipes, intercooler, engine mounts, exhaust, clutch, drive shafts etc etc the list goes on....... or is the diesel easier.
Can I get a better sound from a diesel engine. BOV whoosh like my GTR had, any parts available and suppliers.
DPF and EGR deletes? Pro and cons? Read the tuning article and undecided on whether expense of removing is justified. We do very limited miles. We bought the car new on a 56 plate and its just passed 36000 miles. In fact its gone into limp mode 3 times since we've had it as the filter clogs up quickly because of the limited runs we do.
Any website links recommended for info or ideas
Many thanks in advance for the help to a heartbroken soul whose lost his beloved GTR

Diesels do not need to be revved like a petrol to gain power mate. All there power is around 2500rpm to 4500rpm.

No need for a BOV, as dervs do not have a throttle as such, so no air is pushed back into the turbo when letting off the accelerator.

Sorry I cannot give more definitive answer, I'll let the derv guru's answer them ones!

Hmmm found Miltek and Forge both do exhaust systems that delete the dpf and central resonator and I can replace the downpipe also. Along with a performance filter and remap afterwards should get me into the 200 geegees nicely and create a different soundtrack

VWRacing panel filter for £60 or a cheaper one from K&N, Piper, ITG and the like for half the price. Any preferences?
Milltek complete exhaust for £910 or custom one made to my spec (I.e materials, how many silencers etc) for half the price. Again same question, any preferences?

just remember and do not fit the DPF delete pipe until it is mapped out. itll notice the loss of pressure and billow smoke like a mad thing as it will stick on regeneration

Thanks PG. Have decided to have it done at a tuner I know through SOC, Apple County Modified. The Miltek seemed a little steep in price and Steve will build me a custom system and map it all to what I want for less then the Miltek part by itself. Someone I trust and save £600 is a win win situation far as I see :)

Still not done anything about this! Put off by reports of new stricter DPF regs coming in on top of the ones already put in place and if I keep it some places won't map the DPF models because they get too many problems after the remap.

In mean time I need to replace brake discs and pads. Had EBC on previous car's, still good to go for or has any new innovations come forward from other manufacturers.

Still not done anything about this! Put off by reports of new stricter DPF regs coming in on top of the ones already put in place and if I keep it some places won't map the DPF models because they get too many problems after the remap..

I can well imagine with regards to tuners not wanting to do the DPF removal on this car. The 170HP version of this engine runs with a Siemens ECU (not the normal Bosch as found in the 140bhp) and the Siemens is often a right pig to get to work properly without DPF.

Howdo. You're just going to have to do the occasional motorway drag to clean it out.

This is what I don't quite get about DPFs, although it could well be it's just my limited understanding.

So great, they filter out particles as they go. But then they dump them all out in one big lump at regen time?

I can well imagine with regards to tuners not wanting to do the DPF removal on this car. The 170HP version of this engine runs with a Siemens ECU (not the normal Bosch as found in the 140bhp) and the Siemens is often a right pig to get to work properly without DPF.
Some have said they've stopped remapping even with the dpf still fitted! Have to have a chat with you after I've sorted new discs out

Howdo. You're just going to have to do the occasional motorway drag to clean it out.

This is what I don't quite get about DPFs, although it could well be it's just my limited understanding.

So great, they filter out particles as they go. But then they dump them all out in one big lump at regen time?

I know I've got the wrong car but can't change now so gotta live with this stoopid dpf arrangement. Don't suppose there's a sports dpf like there are for cats (^__^)

Some have said they've stopped remapping even with the dpf still fitted! Have to have a chat with you after I've sorted new discs out

The Siemens ECU is a right pig, particularly if the injectors have not been changed. There was a recall on the Siemens injectors on the Mk5 170HP 2.0 TDI. I've had a lot of success with them, but it does require them to have the revised injectors - if they've not been done, its a whole world of trouble.

|B Uncle T
Really want to get it done. Everyone says they're brilliant engines to get remapped and I've deliberated over having just the remap right through to complete hybrid turbo upgrade and all the costs compared to gains and reliability they give and I think I'm now decided I need just the remap as this is our family car after all.

If you get the Byteflash device from JR tuning, Rob can rewrite the map for you and email an update over when you get the new turbo fitted. It works really well, you can have up to 6 maps stored plus the standard one and only takes a few minutes to reflash the ECU.

You're all good to go then. They're still fiddly to setup, I can understand why some places won't touch them - but as long as you're careful with the fuelling in the map they go well.

Ah just remembered something as I see the word "fuelling" in your post, I meant to ask you Rob. In a tank (Mine for example) there might be a mixture of both Shell V and BP Ultimate petrol. My question is this: does a remapped ECU take into account properly the fuel strength once the fuels have become mixed in the tank - i.e. 99 & 97 RON respectively? ?-/

Ah just remembered something as I see the word "fuelling" in your post, I meant to ask you Rob. In a tank (Mine for example) there might be a mixture of both Shell V and BP Ultimate petrol. My question is this: does a remapped ECU take into account properly the fuel strength once the fuels have become mixed in the tank - i.e. 99 & 97 RON respectively? ?-/

The ECU will work to whatever resistance to knock the fuel in your tank offers, so in essence yes. In terms of how this mixture works chemically, I'm not a fuel scientist, but from a tuners point of view, most ECU's will adapt to whatevers in the tank. I would note however... if you're changing fuel octane/brand regularly... the ECU will pull ignition timing if it see's knock near instantly to protect the engine, but it'll take at least a tank full of fuel to push the timing back to where it was / should be on the better fuel. It'll be far more cautious / slow advancing the timing than retarding it.

Cheers Rob, I do try to keep a full tank of fuel of one specific brand where possible. Unfortunately the Beast loves petrol like a Merchant Seaman loves Navy Rum. So on occasion I have to top up with what's nearest at the time but it is always with Super Unleaded.

New discs and pads fitted to front and rear today. Went with genuine VW items in the end as couldn't see how vented , grooved etc discs were going to help me for the style of driving I do. The Golf already has 312mm front discs with ABS, EBD, BAS, TCS. Lot of acronyms to help stop me if I need to.
So now save up for remap in New year.
I've read the guide to induction kits on here and if I'm looking at 200hp Mark with the remap would this help things along or is it still £300 for little gain at this power level. There's a VW Racing panel filter already fitted when I did a service earlier on. http://www.awesomegti.com/parts/eng...wagen-racing-intake-system-vw-golf-mk5-2-0tdi

Every time I go on that site I get a new idea or want a new part for my car! I must resist!

Resistance is futile!

They only have a minor effect at speeds of 70mph and above, and on a diesel I doubt even that is noticeable. Don't bother, the standard airboxes flow very well indeed on these, you wont gain a thing with an upgrade.

Thanks Waynne, kind of thought that. I need a lot more power adding before needing this and I think the Miltek exhaust is going to be the same. I have a VW Racing panel filter already so, set for a trip to Robs in New year then. Do you think a Dyno custom tune will see anymore gains or go the route your way and remap remotely?

Dyno tunes are helpful if you have other mods or you want to push the engine to it's absolute limits. Personally the standard remaps are more than enough, I doubt you could tell between a dyno map and generic map on such a popular car in day to day driving.

Robs race map is very very good indeed, uses a bit more fuel though but not loads! The standard performance maps are insane, I'm getting wheelspin in 3rd at 3000rpm on dry roads in mine and it's only the base 140!

Is yours the CR or PD engine?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back