Torque Cars

Mk5 TDI170 upgrades

Discussion in 'Golf' started by Aerial Andy944, 21 August 2013.

1. Aerial Andy944

Aerial Andy944 The Torque Meister

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    OK I've sold my Skyline GTR and have to use my children chariot as my fun car aswell. Now the 170TDI engine is great as an effortless cruiser but not very exciting. Panel filter and custom remap is being booked for a power hike to around 200hp(ish) gain with a more flexible response and hopefully bigger power band. Question - can the RPM range be increased, I seem to remember reading the Scirocco TDI had a 5000rpm red line. Is it as major a job to get nearer to 250+hp as it is with petrol engine i.e need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, FPR, boost pipes, intercooler, engine mounts, exhaust, clutch, drive shafts etc etc the list goes on....... or is the diesel easier.
    Can I get a better sound from a diesel engine. BOV whoosh like my GTR had, any parts available and suppliers.
    DPF and EGR deletes? Pro and cons? Read the tuning article and undecided on whether expense of removing is justified. We do very limited miles. We bought the car new on a 56 plate and its just passed 36000 miles. In fact its gone into limp mode 3 times since we've had it as the filter clogs up quickly because of the limited runs we do.
    Any website links recommended for info or ideas
    Many thanks in advance for the help to a heartbroken soul whose lost his beloved GTR

2. davalav

davalav Moderator

Essex, England
    Car:
    Mini Cooper S R56
    Diesels do not need to be revved like a petrol to gain power mate. All there power is around 2500rpm to 4500rpm.

No need for a BOV, as dervs do not have a throttle as such, so no air is pushed back into the turbo when letting off the accelerator.

Sorry I cannot give more definitive answer, I'll let the derv guru's answer them ones!

3. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Dpf removal seems tp be recpmmended for these engones.

4. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Hmmm found Miltek and Forge both do exhaust systems that delete the dpf and central resonator and I can replace the downpipe also. Along with a performance filter and remap afterwards should get me into the 200 geegees nicely and create a different soundtrack

5. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Any styling website recommendations for VWs?

6. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    VWRacing panel filter for £60 or a cheaper one from K&N, Piper, ITG and the like for half the price. Any preferences?
    Milltek complete exhaust for £910 or custom one made to my spec (I.e materials, how many silencers etc) for half the price. Again same question, any preferences?

7. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Are you anywhere near the midlands? I ve never used them but mijexhausts get good reports for quality and price.

8. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    just remember and do not fit the DPF delete pipe until it is mapped out. itll notice the loss of pressure and billow smoke like a mad thing as it will stick on regeneration

9. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Thanks PG. Have decided to have it done at a tuner I know through SOC, Apple County Modified. The Miltek seemed a little steep in price and Steve will build me a custom system and map it all to what I want for less then the Miltek part by itself. Someone I trust and save £600 is a win win situation far as I see :)

10. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Still not done anything about this! Put off by reports of new stricter DPF regs coming in on top of the ones already put in place and if I keep it some places won't map the DPF models because they get too many problems after the remap.

In mean time I need to replace brake discs and pads. Had EBC on previous car's, still good to go for or has any new innovations come forward from other manufacturers.

obi_waynne likes this.
  11. RobBentley

RobBentley The Torque Meister

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    I can well imagine with regards to tuners not wanting to do the DPF removal on this car. The 170HP version of this engine runs with a Siemens ECU (not the normal Bosch as found in the 140bhp) and the Siemens is often a right pig to get to work properly without DPF.

Aerial Andy944 likes this.
  12. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Howdo. You're just going to have to do the occasional motorway drag to clean it out.

This is what I don't quite get about DPFs, although it could well be it's just my limited understanding.

So great, they filter out particles as they go. But then they dump them all out in one big lump at regen time?

13. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Some have said they've stopped remapping even with the dpf still fitted! Have to have a chat with you after I've sorted new discs out

14. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    I know I've got the wrong car but can't change now so gotta live with this stoopid dpf arrangement. Don't suppose there's a sports dpf like there are for cats (^__^)

15. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    The Siemens ECU is a right pig, particularly if the injectors have not been changed. There was a recall on the Siemens injectors on the Mk5 170HP 2.0 TDI. I've had a lot of success with them, but it does require them to have the revised injectors - if they've not been done, its a whole world of trouble.

16. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Yeah they were changed under the warranty recall

RobBentley likes this.
  17. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    You're all good to go then. They're still fiddly to setup, I can understand why some places won't touch them - but as long as you're careful with the fuelling in the map they go well.

18. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Right I've read Waynnes report on his remap and looked at your website so give you call soon Rob?

19. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Let us have your feedback if you get it done Andy :)

20. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    |B Uncle T
    Really want to get it done. Everyone says they're brilliant engines to get remapped and I've deliberated over having just the remap right through to complete hybrid turbo upgrade and all the costs compared to gains and reliability they give and I think I'm now decided I need just the remap as this is our family car after all.

21. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    If you get the Byteflash device from JR tuning, Rob can rewrite the map for you and email an update over when you get the new turbo fitted. It works really well, you can have up to 6 maps stored plus the standard one and only takes a few minutes to reflash the ECU.

22. Aerial Andy944

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Looked at this but as. he's only 160miles away might go visit. Be an interesting trip back home :D

23. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Make a long weekend of it and see sunny Kent in all it's glory. That sounds like a good plan to me then.

24. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Ah just remembered something as I see the word "fuelling" in your post, I meant to ask you Rob. In a tank (Mine for example) there might be a mixture of both Shell V and BP Ultimate petrol. My question is this: does a remapped ECU take into account properly the fuel strength once the fuels have become mixed in the tank - i.e. 99 & 97 RON respectively? ?-/

25. RobBentley

Kent, UK
    Car:
    Audi RS6 C6 Saloon
    The ECU will work to whatever resistance to knock the fuel in your tank offers, so in essence yes. In terms of how this mixture works chemically, I'm not a fuel scientist, but from a tuners point of view, most ECU's will adapt to whatevers in the tank. I would note however... if you're changing fuel octane/brand regularly... the ECU will pull ignition timing if it see's knock near instantly to protect the engine, but it'll take at least a tank full of fuel to push the timing back to where it was / should be on the better fuel. It'll be far more cautious / slow advancing the timing than retarding it.

T9 man likes this.