MG has introduced another car

Looks ok, decent price. Nothing remotely sporty about it though. The MG cars now bear no relation whatsover to their forebears.

But then you could say the same about the hideous monied-chav-mobiles that are today's Bentleys.

Just noticed apparantly these MG3s have something called "brake disc wiping". Whatever that is???

It is a shame they have lost the racing heritage. The MG Maestro Turbo, and montego, the MGV GT and the like, it has a rich racing heritage. Now it's just another youth oriented car brand! Perhaps one day we'll get a proper MG again.

I think brake wipe is where the brakes touch on lightly every now and then when it's raining to keep them water free. Some VAG group cars have this. It has been blamed for pad wear but I think that is unfair. A good driver would do this automatically when wet just before needing to brake, and when driving through puddles.

Last edited:
Eventually! As would braking normally when you need to. You're only talking fractions of a second differences in stopping times in the real world! If your brakes are hot that will help keep them dry as well!

So brake late and brake hard and brake lots, with plenty of braking to keep those brake discs dry and ready to brake when you need them to. But you'll be going so slowly you probably won't need to brake anyway! ;)

Re: Brake wiping;-

My Passat has it. Can't say I've ever had problems with wet brakes since the abolition of asbestos in pad materials. So well over 20 years. Needless really!