Manufacturers and engine sharing.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Ok so how many Manufacturers can we name that share engines?
I know Ford,The PSA Group,Mazda and Volvo all use more or less the same engines just different names.
How many more can we name?

PSA also uses a BMW 1.4 litre petrol four in the 207.

Ford and PSA share the 2.2 and 2.7 HDi engines. Probably also the 1.6 HDi 110 FAP unit is common to both, just that for calls it TDCi.

Apparently so - I've just cross checked my information and found a 2008 review of a Mini One 1.4. Apparently there's a 1.4 diesel as well.

Presumably badged One D.

Looks like there's a Cooper S diesel due with 141bhp 2.0 BMW diesel four.

That should be a bit of a laugh to tune.

Shame they're not planning to use the twin turbo 2.0 derv motor from the 123d

Can't find a 2.0 petrol yet but the John Cooper Works model gets a very impressive 211bhp from its supercharged 1.6 petrol unit !!!

Looks like there's a Cooper S diesel due with 141bhp 2.0 BMW diesel four.

That should be a bit of a laugh to tune.

Shame they're not planning to use the twin turbo 2.0 derv motor from the 123d

Can't find a 2.0 petrol yet but the John Cooper Works model gets a very impressive 211bhp from its supercharged 1.6 petrol unit !!!

bet thats a beast to drive !!!!!!

I had a business customer who had one (he owned a private dental practice and had plenty of ready money).

But he replaced it in 2008 with a BMW 123d which he felt to be quicker than the mini. Depsite falling 7 bhp short the torque and it's wideband delivery more than made up the shortfall.

I used to mash normal Cooper S's all day long in the GT. Too heavy. The Works is quite quick actually but 211bhp is nothing from a charged 1.6 tbh.

I used to mash normal Cooper S's all day long in the GT. Too heavy. The Works is quite quick actually but 211bhp is nothing from a charged 1.6 tbh.

I know you have a thing about weight reduction but not all of us have performance as the only goal for our daily cars. I quite like having doors and seats :) :)

If you set to work on a JCW Cooper S you'd probably get about 500kg off it very quickly.

I know you have a thing about weight reduction but not all of us have performance as the only goal for our daily cars. I quite like having doors and seats :) :)

When I had all the interior in, and even with the full leathers ;) The daily car does have all its original doors and seats.

nissan are owned by renault arent they ?

Nissan UK is owned by Renault. I am unsure about the rest of Nissan's European operations, however.

Renault (La Regie) used to be owned by the French government - I believe this is no longer the case.

Renault's original intention to form bonds with Nissan was to get hold of some decent petrol engines. Renault's in house ones of the early-mid 1990s were abysmally 'soft'.

And Nissan does use Renault's dCi diesel motors in many applications. Not that I'm overly enamoured with those in relaibility terms but Nissan's own diesels back then were horrid.

Reliable: yes,
lively: to a point,
driveable; very, if you were deaf, that is. If you weren't so at the start you very well soon wished you were. And that, too, would become a self fulfilling prophecy after a year or two.

Would it be better if all manufacturers had access to all engines or is it fine the way things are?

Better how it was. It's getting dull enough as it is with only about 3 different cars in the whole world just all wearing a different skirt.