Lighter flywheels

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone fitted a lighter flywheel. What are the downsides apart from a loss of power on hill etc...

Will the engine become more lumpy with one fitted?

Yes - they do get rougher. I had the DMF on mine replaced with a std item ('cos Peugeot supplied this is a replacement, probably due to too many warranty claims). It's definitely slightly more 4 cylindery now.

Not sure, all I know is that the DMF is enormous and the clutch is about 14" diameter!!

It's probably quite a chunk of mass because the engine spins up more freely in Neutral than it did with the DMF in place. But the performance is the same. Even to me and I'm quite a sensitive driver

Has anyone fitted a lighter flywheel. What are the downsides apart from a loss of power on hill etc...

Will the engine become more lumpy with one fitted?

Circuit racers look for lightness so that engine responds quicker. Drag racers usually go for the heavier option so as to reduce the chances of boging down on the line.

Lumpyness will depend on how much you lighten by, the type and size of engine and your own perspective on what is lumpy. A well tuned and balanced petrol engine should not be lumpy unless you have tried to use an ultralight racing flywheel on your road car! I have no idea with regard to the efect on oil burners. I will leave that to HD.

Last edited:
straight 4 diesels inherently generate more 2nd order harmonic vibration than a straight petrol. My engine has twin balancer shafts so there's little left to speak of anyway.