Uprated Clutches + Flywheels

RoweY

Car
Peugeot 206 GTI 180
I've just removed the engine from my 206 gti 180 as the timing belt snapped but luckily didn't damage any valves, i'm currently rebuilding it but thought i might as well fit a clutch whilst the engines out. Would their be any benefit from fitting a fast road clutch over a oem part and a lightened flywheel over the original ? I've heard lightened flywheel are bad in traffic etc but like the sound of how they rev more freely. Any Advice ?

Generally I don't recommend changing a dual mass flywheel for a single mass. A lighter flywheel will mean thee engine bogs down more on hills and inclines but it does spin up more quickly. Do you need the engine speed to change rapidly though? Fast gear changes where rev matching is important and if you are usually in the top end of the Rev range it can help but in everyday driving I really don't think there is a need for a lighter flywheel and more freely revving engine.

A fast road clutch can be quite heavy and snatchy with an off/on mechanism and very little in between which can make driving in traffic pretty hard. It will not slip and can resist a lot more torque so if you are struggling with clutch slip or judder then it makes sense.

There are many degrees of clutch around from OEM to competition so I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs and doesn't compromise too much.

My recommendation to you is to fit a fast road cam and get the head flowed and ported, this makes a big difference to the GTi 180 offering around 20bhp more power and better torque.

I wouldn't bother up-rating the factory clutch unless there was going to be a significant power increase .
Any competent clutch rebuilder can easily increase the clamping pressure of a stock PP to help handle the 20 hp power increase that Obi mentioned.

Am amused with the term "fast road clutch/cams"

Thanks for the replies, I have to decided to just do a slight tinker with the head whilst the engines apart, Still need some help though. Currently thinking:
Larger Inlet Valves (Any advice on this ?)
Uprated Valve springs
Cat Cams
Port + Polished Head
Then get it all remapped once the engines all in and back together.

Hoping to see about 190bhp after the rebuild but maybe that's a bit optimistic with my only other mod been a K&N Typhoon intake kit

Then maybe next year ill go the the larger 406 Inlet manifold and get the head ported to match.

IF you are getting the head ported in a non direct injected motor ie where the injectors are mounted in the intake manifold OR anywhere in the head OUTSIDE the combustion chamber it is important that the inlet ports are only polished up to the injectors and left slightly rougher finish post the injectors to promote better fuel and air mix.
Remember that there is a fine balance between port size and air flow velocity and too large ports will reduce the inlet velocity and may lower the actual amount of intake air to be compressed and harm power output especially in a NA motor.

Last edited:
A 3 or 5 angle valve job will aid air flow into the engine and will give you a bit more torque. I think 190 is certainly possible after mapping with those mods.