L W Flywheel Pros/Cons explained

My clutch builder who will be lightening mine also says that alloy ultra lite FW's can warp due to the inability to shed heat. Wasn't planning on one and have no experience with one but relayed the info FWIW

We decided not to lighten the steel flywheel on the YB. In fact, we are using the heavier one from the 4x4 engine. The rationale is this should reduce the risk of stalling on the line, allowing more grip to be utilised. Well, that's the theory :)

Steve what do you think about the dyno/drag strip test results under "Drag Racing " where they solved the launch stalling/bogging down ? by upping the clutch dump revs by 500 revs and ended up 1/10 faster ??

PS don't know if a turbo powered car will get the same result ?-/

Last edited:
That was an interesting read and I can't fault the data. However, and there is always an however :), they were testing 3000lb cars with 5l N/A v8s. I'm playing with 1300lb and a 2l turbo 4 pot.

Having said that, I had argued for the lighter flywheel but my engine builder and chassis guru both recommended the heavier one. I bowed to their vastly superior knowledge and experience. We are using a twin plate 7 1/4" clutch. The proof will be provided by how the car launches and the time slips.

IF you can't quite reach your goals then there is the option to see if a LWFW will help.
Like bouncing ideas off you :)

Have queried them to see if the data carries over to turbo ed cars .Will let you know if they reply.