Keep it simple

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The old addage keep it simple or keep it simply stupid is one I've heard a few times.

Does this apply to cars though? Has a KISS approach made your life easier or harder?

It seems that car makers want ot keep it complicated and have added numerous electrical gadgets to our cars. But you might argue that this is simpler than a mechanical system for example fuel injection compared to a carb.

Setting up a carb is a nightmare of a job and fuel injection has rendered this obsolete now. Does this count as KISS or not?

Have you ever over complicated something and had it come back to bite you later?

I made my own loom up for an ICE install which backed onto the former owner custom loom and I was always getting bad connections so in the end I had to rip it all out, strip it back and do it properly.

I think we've all bodged the electrics at some point in our car owning careers!

I'm in the process of bodging the electrics in the project car. Well I'm trying to simplify it, as I think you're right about keeping it simple. The more uncomplicated something is, the less there is to go wrong and the easier it is to fix imo.

The KISS system is a good approach for bass players. Embellishment when appropriate but 'behaving' yourself the rest of the time generally is less likely to wind up other musicians.

As for cars, modern ones are incredibly low maintenance that it hardly matters.

The problem with embellishment for bass players is that by the time they have worked out how to spell it, they have usually missed their cue.

I do all my own work these days and many of my friends bring their cars to me,''if their not after one of my tools''. I used to tutor motor vehicle technology for Chichester college part time so theres always someone knocking on my door. After 35+ years of working on cars i guess theres no getting away from it, ''it's in my blood''.

Albert Einstein:

Keep it as simple as possible...but not simplier* than that!

*know it is not written correct but have no clue how to spell it. :(