BMW driver couldn't keep up

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Yesterday in the snowing noticed I was being followed enthusiastically by a BMW driver. He seemed to think I was going to slowly for the icy conditions!

On a sharp bend I knew well I took it as fast as I dare in the snow, the quattro cut in and got me round with a minimum of snaking.

I looked in my mirror to see him sliding right across the road and into the kerb! He drove a lot more slowly after that.

It goes to shows that it pays to know your limits and those of your car.

rally cars are the best ones for everyday use. cars like the scoobs, the mitsu, audi quattro, etc, u can drive them in all conditions, while rwd are hard to drive when slippy. fwd are also ok for different conditions.

i found the skoda is nowhere near as good in the snow as the bora was even with the same tyres, now on the hunt for a cheap set to use while i refurb mine then whack winter tyres on then later in the year when prices drop a bit

Think i've got you beat HDI my little skyline starts snaking on dirt roads with mild spirited dring, she'll probably stand still and go in circles in the snow.

I find the engine breaking more effective than in a 2wd car. You can feel the power feeding between the wheels to get traction if it's near the limits but the car just seems to always aim straight (unless you are cornering).

It's quite scary I can put my foot down and the car just goes, stopping it again is still as problematic as in a 2WD car. Cornering is also slightly better but the laws of physics still apply. :(

Think i've got you beat HDI my little skyline starts snaking on dirt roads with mild spirited dring, she'll probably stand still and go in circles in the snow.

And the moral of that is dont buy a GTS :bigsmile:

high power RB RBs can be driven in deep snow as long as you have AWD and turn the boost controller off .

In fact I took the stagea out for some fun over the weekend .

It was parked in a road that had not been gritted and had frozen and then had another 3 to 4 inches of snow . This had drifted so it was up past the doors on most of the cars on that side of the road.

Got in the car , started it up and while it was warming up cleaned the six inces plus of snow off the roof and bonnet with a large very soft broom.

Now those that know the car will know it isnt exactly quiet and it was sunday morning, so by the time I had got the snow off a few of my neighbours had come out to watch .
One is a bit of a plonker ( actually that should be a complete know it all plonker) . He was of course quick to offer advice and help with comments like " no way will you get that out . I cant even get my BMW off the drive."

I just smiled got in the car and drove staight out of the snow drift without a problem.

I couldnt resist offering to tow him to the main road. Fortunately he declined.

Just goes to show what can be done with a proper AWD system and a snow mode

the works vivaro is outstanding in the snow there is only 1 hill by me it didnt manage to make it to the top!
My new legacy on the otherhand made it up no problem:)

^^ I must have missed that thread herb, you have a Legacy now? :blink: :cool:

yes mate the courtesy car had to go back today so i had to buy a car this weekend, so saturday i was all set to go 80 miles to matlock to pickup a legacy outback as pre arranged with the garage. Rang them up to say i was setting off and to check what the snow was like up there, but no answer on the phone i tried numerous times over an hour:( so by chance i looked on ebay and found a 2001 legacy outback 5 miles away with 1 previous owner, full service history, 12 months MOT, 4 months tax, leather and full of gizmos:bigsmile: all for £895:amazed: it was up for £995 but the n/s rear bearing has gone so a did a bit of bartering. the only downside is its a 3.0 (but im averaging 29 mpg) and its an auto (but i am coming round to this) so all in all a great buy:bigsmile:

yes mate the courtesy car had to go back today so i had to buy a car this weekend, so saturday i was all set to go 80 miles to matlock to pickup a legacy outback as pre arranged with the garage. Rang them up to say i was setting off and to check what the snow was like up there, but no answer on the phone i tried numerous times over an hour:( so by chance i looked on ebay and found a 2001 legacy outback 5 miles away with 1 previous owner, full service history, 12 months MOT, 4 months tax, leather and full of gizmos:bigsmile: all for £895:amazed: it was up for £995 but the n/s rear bearing has gone so a did a bit of bartering. the only downside is its a 3.0 (but im averaging 29 mpg) and its an auto (but i am coming round to this) so all in all a great buy:bigsmile:
thats better than imgettting in my 3.2 auto, I'd take that.

My 2.8 Auto is staggeringly good in terms of fuel economy.

Especially on loose snow cos it ain't worth even starting the engine to bother starting a journey. :-D

Last edited:
I guess that means for as long as I live I will not live anywhere it snows, cause I can't live without my car. Life would suck too much.