Just took an RX8 for a spin

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Mate came round to say hullo and he's just bought a rather tasty RX8!

He let me have a go and this thing seems to rev to infinity. The accelerator is so light to touch and it shoots off. In the engine bay the engine is really tiny! You lift off this massive plastic cover to reveal and engine which is pretty much hidden behind an alternator!

Anyone else had a go in a rotary engined car? It's quite an experience if you're used to low down torque.

Been in an RX-8 several times, slow and gutless frankly. Well balanced chassis though and they sound sexy.

Should have been turbocharged like the RX-7!

they didn't charge it because of the overheating issues th RX-7 had, they are nice to drive though, i think there were several engine options for it weren't there? all rotary but different power outputs

Been in an RX-8 several times, slow and gutless frankly. Well balanced chassis though and they sound sexy.

Should have been turbocharged like the RX-7!

You have no idea how much it pains me to do this, agree with the big MA, but I have to agree!! :D

Wish I had see the thread first!

They should have fitted it with a turbo. I wouldn't say it was gutless, but it could be quicker.

231 bhp - didn't feel gutless to me (0-62 in 6.4 seconds isn't bad) but all the power was at the top end. Drive it like a regular car and the lack of low down torque is dissapointing, drive it how it's meant to be driven and the thing comes alive.

The UK version with a cat is a lot less powerful than this and a fair bit slower!

Have never driven a RX8 or the 7 come to that! But have not really read any negative comments about them from the owners on other car forums, so I assume it ticks all the right boxes for them :)

I drove one about 20 meters. not enough tell what it was like to be honest but the interior was great and the driving position was brilliant.