Just bought a car

wolfmankurd

Track Warrior
Car
Renault Clio 1.2
Well actually my brother did! didn't go exactly as expected but we got a couple of hundred quid off hagglings fun :) but no sooner did we get it home that the check engine light turned on and we found out the cd player doesn't work(we didn't have a cd to test!) I was just wondering what recourse, if any, we had? It came with a 3month silver RAC cover.

Dealer or private? If through a dealer then you can approach them with the engine check light issue and get it resolved. If private, then it'll be harder to sort even though you do have rights. Not knowing what you bought, how much, its history and whether you signed 'as sold as seen and tested' receipt it'll be hard to help in more detail, might not be worth the hassle.

The RAC cover may help, is it just a breakdown or is it a repair cost insurance policy?

Try the dealer you bought it off. Cars MUST be sold in good running order with no major defects otherwise they can be rejected under the sale of goods act. If private then you have no recourse unless the seller offered a warranty in the bill of sale.

It was a dealer, I googled RAC silver and found this link which calls it "Maintenance and Breakdown Cover". I guess I'll ring him up tomorrow explaining the check engine light, do I need to find out the error first? I have a funny feeling he'll palm me off onto the RAC.