Is your car ready for E10 fuels?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Petrol is slowly being mixed with ethanol, a more eco friendly combustant!

The sad hidden fact is that many cars on our streets will be damaged by this fuel, more specifically the Ethanol component. This will corrode hoses and plastics and internal engine parts.

It can also cause starting issues, pinking and rough idling if your car is not ready for it.

Thankfully most recent cars were built with this in mind, but a few years ago fuel was sold with a 5% Ethanol mix.

You'll notice the pumps in the EU area labelled as E10 or E5 or even E85 to show the Ethanol content.

Does this worry you at all or is your car going to be ok? You'll also notice you get about 3% worse fuel economy from it!

Does anyone know for sure what car years are safe and which ones are in the risk area? From my research it seems to be anything older than 2002 will probably have issues.

Will you be seeking out the few stations still offering E5?

Having read up on this further after your post, I am certainly worried. Surely they can't just switch the fuel at the pump without warning people it can cause major issues to their car!

Is this just a way to get older cars off the roads? Dissolve their lines and seals so they break down?

Should have a problem on mine, but the wifes will probably have issues, I must look into this more.

Anyone remember when petrol went unleaded? I guess this is a similar thing.

I think mine is going to be fine but I know a hell of a lot of people who won't be and are completely oblivious to this issue.

I'm sure they can be converted to run on E10 but this is likely to be costly.

I believe that most if not all modern cars are compatible with E10 fuels BUT refer to the owners manual FIRST before filling with E10 as it may not be a high enough octane /RON for your engine.

Should have a problem on mine, but the wifes will probably have issues, I must look into this more.

Anyone remember when petrol went unleaded? I guess this is a similar thing.

Unleaded fuel caused valve seat recession due to the seats being too soft to withstand the constant pounding every time the valves closed @ TDC.This was due to the removal of the lead component of the fuel as the lead was cushioning the valve to seat seating.

Additives were sold to stop valve seat recession in leaded and unleaded engines were fitted with harder seats IIRC they were made from stellite.

I didn't know what the lead was in petrol for at all, I thought it was just something that happened to be in it and they've managed to find a way to remove it.

This has got me worried, I think I need to do a little more reasearch.

Ok so I feel old now that I remember the switch from leaded fuel.

LOL @ you Obi you're just a young chap.

IF you were really old you like me you would remember the old fuel pumps that you had to move the indicator by hand and then pump thr fuel up into the glass cylinder on top pf the pump put the hose in the tank then pull a lever to let it flow into your tank. Now that's really what old is.