Is octane booster a rip off?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Picked up a bottle of octane booster and started reading. Increasing the octane rating of fuel by UPTO 1.5 RON is possible with this additive.

Sounds good I thought. Then I read on. Add WHOLE bottle to a tank of fuel. Now the octane booster costs £10 for 500ml which is a massive £20 per Litre! It works out cheaper to pay an extra 10p per litre and go for the Superunleaded any way which which is a higher octane. ;)

Have you ever bought something and then when you read the label find out you have just been ripped off?

If you were going to use octane booster, i would asume you were already running the car on super unleaded, otherwise whats the point? so in answer i dont think it's a ripoff

That is kind of what I was thinking but when I read further it said only for use on 95 RON pump fuel! :eek:

most petrols with cylinder-by-cylinder knock sensing will optimize firing WRT to TDC in real time. There will be a minimum octane rating for the engine in that tune, in that country. You can get benefits from higher octane fuel, and octane boosters do work. But, at that price - IT'S a RIP OFF. 1.5 octane numbers is not going to change your car's behaviour at all.

FYI - you can use 95 Ron in a 98 RON engine as long as you keep the revs and load down! SO in case one of our Impreza owners runs out an the only choice is 95 it can be a get you home option.