Ingredients for a fun car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the essential ingredients for a fun car?

Small and light, big and powerful, great handling, good acceleration, high top speed, superb brakes, nice seats, the colour :eek:, lots of gadgets?

Depends on what your style is and if you are one for comfort or one for fun. For me it would be a superb chassis, roadholding, acceleration and sturdy under braking. Toys and gadgets are at the bottom of my list, I like a drivers car.

For me,

Small & light.
Unpowered, quick rack steering.
Non abs brakes
Around 150bhp at the wheels.
Engine revs to 10K :bigsmile:
Short ratio dog leg gear box with a slick gear shift.
Rear wheel drive.
Straight through exhaust with no pesky cat.

That's the basics sorted, can I have it in time for Chrimbo please? :amuse:

For me,

Small & light.
Non abs brakes
Rear wheel drive.

I would not say bye to PAS. I'm a complete poof in that respect, despite my height and physical build.

For me it would be like:

Good steering feel
nice handling
Fast acceleration
Light weight
High reving N/A engine

Looks like you need an FRS :lol:

I'm assuming you mean Focus RS?

Was looking at them, I wouldn't mind a weekend toy, but I can't buy one because you have one now and in my world it's a bit of a no no,

O and if I was to add something to my list as well then I would say it would have to be red lol

For me,

Small & light.
Non abs brakes
Rear wheel drive.

Sounds like you want a Caterham with a Yamaha R1 engine in it :)

Or an R26R. :amuse:

And they do them in red :lol: Love the R26R's but I couldn't part with that much money for a FWD French hatch with plastic windows, in the same was I couldn't part with £25k for the Mk2 FRS, the Mk1 is so much more of a drivers car.

I've been saying for ages that the french have the hot hatch thing down so well, Renualt these days Peugeot in the old days,

and the R26R is very appealing but expensive, the R26 the non stripped one is a very good alternative and EVO mags top hot hatch for ages until the Focus RS came out (MK2) now though the Clio 200 Cup is there pick

I really don't care what people say, the french can make good cars, it just depends on what you want.

but to be fair there are plenty of other cars I like as well but they contrast sooo much it would be pointless comparing them.

The French car makers have always been innovative. Citroen is the premier example. But there have been many French cars which so tragically under-performed in all respects, despite innovative design.

There have been some good cars, without a doubt, and in latter years the quality control and general integrity of the things came on a big bunch or more.

My 406 was knocking on for eight years old when it laid down its life to preserve mine back in June 2009. And everything worked perfectly until then. 60mph frontal collisions don't do much for the car's longevity :)

Germans have always been known for superb build quality. Probably fairly so. But there are so many decent cars now that it's hard to get nationalistic about it.

My E39 is superbly built yet it's getting on in years and despite this everything in this car works perfectly as well. It's comfortable and doesn't chew fuel, handles well, stops well and goes well. But, is it:---

Innovative? No.

Exciting? No.

Better than the 406? Well, it's a more desireable badge to own if you like that sort of thing, but I'm not sure it's a better car as such. The BMW is not as lavishly equipped as the Pug (was :) ), it's not massively quieter, it's no more spacious, it's not as quick. So I could argue that the similarities outweigh the differences, such was the build quality of my Peugeot, at least.

Maybe that's the crux of it?

406 build quality was variable at best, I just got lucky with a very good one.

E39 build quality was consistently excellent and never varied.

The jury is out, I propose.

Well my french car hasn't put a foot wrong, niether did any of my familes french cars, expect one,

My grandad had a 309, 306 and 406 (bought and owned in that order)
My uncle 306 and 206
Me 306

Have been fine,

but the 206 was lacking, after owning the 306 my uncle wanted another peugeot so bought the 206 for his wife (he had a golf gti mk4) he said the 206 was utter garbage compared to the 306

so really I don't know it's anyones guess

Fun cars do not have to be quick cars. In some ways a little tiny 1.0 Toyota Starlet can be fun. It's impossible to go fast in one so you can have lots of fun at low speeds. You can get around the option of not going fast simply by driving it quickly.

Outrageously late locked up braking on slidey surfaces is not likely to cause too many problems at 12mph.

My car isn't fast by any means but it's great fun to drive. It out handles alot of cars on the road so it's the more powerful cars that have to work harder to keep up with my Focus in the twisties.

Any Italians here? They know the answer! :D

I think there is a vast line here and exactly what can you call fun. One of the best times I have had in a car, was driving an old beet up Land Rover that would do no more than 55mph, in part of a forrest the forrestry commition had closed off. I have had fun in my car that would do over a 100mhp more than the landy.

I think it comes down to the individual, setting, and how you drive as to how much fun you can get out of a car.

Fun cars do not have to be quick cars. In some ways a little tiny 1.0 Toyota Starlet can be fun. It's impossible to go fast in one so you can have lots of fun at low speeds. You can get around the option of not going fast simply by driving it quickly.

Outrageously late locked up braking on slidey surfaces is not likely to cause too many problems at 12mph.

Reminds me of what my dad told me once, he said if I wanted to learn to powerslide get a Moggie Minor sideways at 15 mph on a wet roundabout. :amuse: