Increasing my cars performance.

Spedward

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Accord 1999
Hi everyone,

I have been doing up my “Honda Accord 1999 1.8i hatchback” over the past few months... but all of the modifications have been visual!

I am now looking to start modifying it to make it sound better and increase its power.

I would like to begin with the two most obvious modifications – an induction kit and an exhaust backbox, since they make the car sound better and look better (and also increase the performance a bit) then I would like to do more “hidden” things to the car to increase its performance.

I have booked my car in to get a K&N induction kit fitted but I would like some advice on the whole exhaust thing.

I am only looking to spend around £200 for the backbox. To begin with I would just like something to give the car a good look, enhance the noise, and maybe the power a wee bit – then, in the future I could maybe add to the exhaust system to make it even better.

I have two questions for you experts reading my post – any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. Could someone please offer me some advice on the backbox? What should I get. Is getting a backbox to begin with a good idea?

2. Secondly. Once I have my induction kit and backbox fitted what’s next. Could you provide a list of engine / exhaust / performance modifications I should do next? In level of importance?

If it was me, I would avoid buying a back box & save your money a little more & buy a full performance system including a new manifold, changing the back box won't provide any tangible increase in performance.
After your induction kit I would suggest a re-map. Prince will be the best guy to talk to about Honda's & tuning, I'm sure he'll be along soon. :)

as said dont both with a back box all they will do is make noise. if your after performance get a full exhaust which includes manifold and sports cat but expect to pay more than 200

after this start looking towards cams and headwork prior to mapping - not sure if this ECU can be mapped or if you need a stand alone ECU

Hi guys, thanks for your replies (I really appreciate your responses)

Allow me to clarify a couple of points.

My cars ECU cannot be re-mapped I have looked into it.

I was wanting to get a backbox to begin with - simply to give the car a better sound (and maybe a slight increase in performance). (?I'm a showoff lol)

I was then wanting to expand on the backbox by adding the rest of a performance exhaust system including a manifold and sports cat - afterall isnt a backbox part of a sport exhaust system? or am i getting this wrong? ... does a proper sports exhaust system not include a backbox at all? (treat me as a complete exhaust system novice lol)

Thanks

Ed

The back box is the last part of the exhaust at the rear of your car. Just changing the back box won't give very many horses TBH.
If you choose a full system you could have Manifold, downpipe, Sports cat and back to the back box. A full system means just that. You get a Full exhaust system which will give better power gains.

Also if you are thinking about doing something with the Ecu then give Superchips a call they will be able to point you in the right direction.

If your not really after any more performance and just want the sound, Id advise talking to someone local that can make you one. There is a few places up here but I think its a little out of your way (200 miles north of Glasgow!!) I can get you there details if you like. They will make you a back box that will deafen anyone within a 5 mile radius! lol. There should be plenty of people buy you who can make you one. Then you can choose what exhaust you want showing i.e. oval, round, boar, twin, double ect.
They usually cost a ton fifty or so.

With the air filter, speak with someone who knows about your car, as to what sort to put on. I had a K+N cone on my Mazda, but have a HKS fitted into my air box with my Evo. (Have cut a small hole in the side of the air box to increase performance. That was what an Evo nut advised me). I don't know anything about your car so cant help sorry.

Hi all!

I am beginning to understand my options a bit better now thanks to all your help!

Like I have said. I DO want to increase performance - just over time (I want to buy things bit by bit) The idea is, that I will buy a backbox first, then buy the rest of the sports exhaust system as and when I can afford it - I want to buy the backbox first as this will make the car look good AND sound good to begin with.

I am trying to understand what is involved in a sports exhaust...Can I just ask... does a full sports exhaust system , from the back consist of...

1. backbox
2. Sports cat
3. downpipe
4. Manifold

is there anything I have missed + will my idea work? (i.e. beginning with a good back box then adding to it?

Buddy you would be better off saving the pennies and getting a full system. In my eyes if you want performance then go the Full system route instead of trying to get it bit by bit because the Will cost you a fortune. It would be cheaper to get a Full exhaust in one go.

Full exhaust is the following

Exhaust manifold - comes from the block down under the car
Downpipe - this is normally back of the manifold on NASP engines
Sports /Decat - replaces the standard cat
centre pipe - can be silenced or a straight through pipe
Back box.

if your only interested in noise then go for a back box but it advise saving money and getting at least a cat back to begin with. then look towards manifold and sports cat

It seems to me like you just want to go for looks and sound first. Then power later. Dont skimp on the exhaust. You want performance, then save up and buy in a one er. If you want looks and sound then buy a back box. Them are your options, you cant do both over a space of time, or it will cost you an arm and a leg.

I own a Honda Accord 1.8i 1999

I have searched on google for a full exhaust system for the car and found this:

but that is just simply searching for "honda accord 98 full exhaust" - cost £600

that is a lot of money! maybe I should do what pgarner says and just get the backbox AND sports cat to begin with - however, I cannot find anything for my car... does anyone know of a sports cat and exhaust that would fit my car? a link to it would be great too.

cheers for your help!

600 sounds about right for a full system.

i wouldnt bother with just a back box a cat back would be a better starting point expect around £350 for a cat back its the sports cat that costs the money

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back