In-car breathalysers

dagger

The Torque Meister
Car
Nissan Primera S.I.
In-car breathalysers become compulsory in France

Breath-test kits will be a necessary part of your travel kit from July

Something to be aware of for the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans (or the biennial one for the Classic): From July 1 all drivers in France will be required to carry a breathalyser in the car.

This applies to all cars - so those travelling to or through France, as well as French-registered vehicles. Single-use kits will satisfy the new rule, however, and these will be available at all channel crossings for around £1-£2.

The measures might seem Draconian, but with 31 per cent of all fatalities on the road in France involve drivers above the legal limit, the French are desperate to cut the number of drink-related deaths on the road.

If you do 'forget' to sort out the single-use breath test kits (and the French government recommends you have at least two in the car), you needn't worry this summer - the authorities will only start handing out fines from November onwards. And even then they'll only be 11 euros.

The idea of getting drink-drivers off the roads is of course a thoroughly commendable one, but these measures do seem a little toothless, affecting only the most responsible drivers. This is especially obvious given the fact that the average blood alcohol level in drivers involved in drink-related fatal accidents is 2.25 grams per litre - four-and-a-half times the legal limit in France. Is this legislation going to stop these people? It seems unlikely.

I can't see this affecting anything other than the profits for the people selling them.