Illegal Modifications

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Thought this might be a good discussion point. What mods are actually illegal as there seems to be a grey area with some mods?

Feel free to post up any illegal mod you can think of.

it depends on where you live as well. please try to post up where the Modifications are illegal if not in the UK

for example most induction kit are illegal in a lot of USA.

ALL modifications are illegal if your insurance company is not aware of them. as it will void your insurance, thus driving without insurance. some companies might even go get as bad as aftermarket gear knobs and pedals.

the problem with this topic is going to be the grey areas like you say.

for instance decats are not illegal yet you would struggle to pass an emissions test on the MOT. No MOT test means cars not insured. and you can be done with no MOT and no insurance
Aftermarket HID kits, replacing the bulbs with HID bulbs and ballasts, are not illegal ( but bloody well should be ) as long as they pass the beam pattern test.

OK one i will post up is the use of NON standard lighting on cars. IE blue green purple pink etc these can only be used off road. or if the light projector ( bulb tube led etc ) and its projected light cannot be seen from the road. blue neon in the footwell are fine if they cant be seen by other traffic. However along the dash is illegal and so is under the car, beam shows up on the road.

Aftermarket HID kits, replacing the bulbs with HID bulbs and ballasts, are not illegal ( but bloody well should be ) as long as they pass the beam pattern test.

THey aren't illegal, but they are unlawful irrespective of the MoT beam pattern test

So much is a "discresionary offence". I will just pick up on HDI - insurance is valid without an MOT just as long as the accident was not caused by a problem that would have been picked up on in the test. "You have a duty to maintain your vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition."

Lowering a car too much will cause grounding on speed bumps.
Fitting larger and wider rims that rub on the bodywork or prevent full turning lock.
Tinted windows to the front half of the car.
Loud exhausts are again a discresionary "causing a nuisance" offence and this could also go for a very loud ICE install.

So its the old illegal and unlawful debate. Steer clear of things that attract too much attention and you should be fine.

I might even cover this as a topic on the main site but I really need to give it a worldwide flavour so I'd appreciate as many posts from other countries as possible.

Plus exhausts that prodrude out further than the rear bumper.

Small wing mirrors can also cause law issues.

It's like an external sun visor, but permanently fixed in place.

I'd ban the silly blue tinted headlamps. WE all know damn well that Saxo's didn't come with HIDs, even as a factory option. And we can all tell the difference.