If car makers made computers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would it be like if car makers made computers. What would they look like and be like to use.

Audi would have to use a Quad Core Processor and the keyboard would be in stitched leather with chrome detailing.

If Rover made computers they would keep breaking down and need a continual supply of new chips, hard drives and processors.

How well do you think other car makers would fare in the computer world.

well as long as one of them spelt right i would have one lol
every one i buy has the same fault spells things wrong

Perhaps we should be grateful that Microsoft doesn't author the code for ECUs for cars. But then we could close all the windows and start again :)

I'm chiding MS a little unfairly here perhaps. Current releases are very stable indeed, even if a little thirsty on system resources.

Most embedded systems now use a customised derivative of one of the many available Linux kernels. This goes down as far as your TV remote and possibly even your toaster in some cases.

I'm not a big fan of windows it has to be said, Mac OSX is all right but I like Linux, I put linux Mint on my last computer to use on a partition with windows, unfortunatly however I stupidly deleated my windows boot drivers and had to ask linux's permission to use windows Lol.

The thing with windows though is so many things work on it, I use Mac OSX for music programs such as logic for my studio but the msn on it for instance is only partial. I use linux mostly for programming. I have to use windows for things like Microsoft word because thats the format I need my files to be in for the OU and also because, well, it's like familiarity Lol

I'm actually looking forward to windows 7 being released, it should actually be a propper working version of windows from the start because Microsoft can't afford another Vista release disaster, that nearly destroyed them. However my grant was going to run out soon so I couldn't wait to chase the delays, got vista on my current home computer... not a fan

I don't think you're being too unfair though, microsoft do have a tendency to release crap products that either break or didn't work from the start, just because they're such a big brand name the masses will blindly buy them, rather then using their noodle and getting a linux Kernel. even the Xbox likes to show it's lovely red rings.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd buy a computer off any of the jap car makers Lol. I think I'd avoid a computer made by dodge.

Last edited:
personally i feel that they already do make computers. maybe not personal use ones but have you seen under the hood of the modern cars. more electronics than i could shake a stick at. really wish they had stayed with the old ones. lol

personally i feel that they already do make computers. maybe not personal use ones but have you seen under the hood of the modern cars. more electronics than i could shake a stick at. really wish they had stayed with the old ones. lol

True indeed. You've only got to start pratting around with a laptop on the diag socket. It's facinating some of the stuff going on in there.

MS does come in for some unfair bashing. IK, XP was long in the tooth in late 2006 and we were all screaming for a replacement. MS duly pushed it out.

THen we all turned tail and hammered on about how nice the old OS was after all. This is human nature.

But I still agree that Vista, although not too early, was severely under tested.