how to much modify a Scion TC to 300Hp?

Is it the 2.4 L 2AZ-FE straight-4 If so you are looking to double the power! No small undertaking.

Turbo charging is the best way to up the power but you'd need to replace a lot of the internals with stronger parts.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f118/fitting-turbo-some-dos-dont-s-24176
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type.

This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

You could always look for a suitable engine swap candidate, the Celica GT turbo engine may well fit your bay and if you get the wiring and gearbox sorted you'd be well on your way to your goal without too much fuss and expense.

Agreed, except I would expect more like 500 hours! There won't be turbo kit available for this engine so there will be a lot of headscratching, experimenting and fabricating.

Unless you are in love with this car and forsake all others, look for a better car to spend what would be a lot of money.

As I have said many times on here, the best way to improve the performance of a small engine is with a small nitrous kit. Adding 25bhp will make a big difference and most engines are capable of handling this increase without modification. Advantages are that you have the fuel efficiency of the standard engine with the added performane when required.

Don't compare 25bhp achieved by conventional tuning with that privided by nitrous. Conventional tuning (cams, head work, intake and exhaust) will provide most of the extra power at the top of the rev range. Nitrous will give you the whole 25bhp immediately and all through the rev range once activated (usually at a minimum of around 3000rpm), so it will feel like a lot more than 25. A car with 25 bhp of nitrous will thrash a similar car with the same increase achieved by conventional tuning.

Another advantage of nitrous is that you can remove it when selling the car and reuse a lot of it on your next project :)

And no, nitrous doesn't destroy engines, badly installed systems and being greedy with the power does, the same as conventional tuning.

PS. might have 3 tickets to the Revival Meeting at this years Goodwood meet at £45 each,, what they cost me,,thanks to a freind who works for the Company, BMW, not a dealership guy,,,orderd 4 but looks like one guy has to work & the other 2 have family flying in,, so up for grabs folks....

Or you could fit Nitrous and a turbo ;)

Do not know if NOX is legal over in Old Blighty BUT definitely NOT LEGAL over here.
You can be defected over here for driving on public roads with it fitted and no bottle connected.
In Oz fitting forced induction to a car that did not have it factory fitted requires an engineers inspection and approval and a blue mod plate fixed in the engine bay and a report sent to the transport dept & possibly a brake upgrade as well.

Last edited:
So with a $10,000 budget, which car should I buy so that in the future I can make it faster? I don't care about the look, only the speed. Any suggestion will be really thankful.