honda civic 1.6i 1994

TITAN

Tuner
Car
Honda Civic EG
im new to the modding scene. this being my 1st car. what modifications would you recommend for some1 on a budget e.g no turbos or superchargers lol

i was thinkin of adding a k&n 57i air filter. as much for the extra bhp as for the noise

any other suggestions?

much appreciated

hi ye i was thinking of doin both of these

are there better brands than others? which are the best?

are there any mods which dnt require alot of knowledge which would give me a quicker acceleration because my civic takes a while to start puttin down real power

Both of those would help. How about making it lighter? Civic's hit real power in the high revs...what rpm do you shift at?

as i've only bought the car a few days ago i havent been able to drive it much and really notice what rpm but i suppose about 3000 rpm maybe

is this way too low for a civic?

Hi titan.... welcome to the world of modding!!!

Ye 3000rpm is MUCH too low if your lookin to get power out.....

You need to rev alot higher for a civic to pull stronger, not sure wat ur rev limiter is on a non-vtec but i would prob be shifting round the 6000 or 7000 mark!!

Hi and welcome - nice to have you along. VTEC is definately a high rev car and it takes some time to get used to it after a "normal" engine. They are built for the high rpm work.

i was out driving around today jus seeing how it feels to shift at about 5-6000 rpm and feels a lot better for layin down power

thanks for the help guys

1 more thing tho...

wen browsing through engine mods to buy a lot of them say they do not have much of an effect in smaller engine cars

is my civic 1.6 a smaller engine car?

The VTEC have 2 cam profiles. When you hit the VTEC zone a lifter kicks in the more sporty cam profile. They really scream and produce a lot of power, its a great way to build an engine which is economical low down and powerful at the top end.

Heres a vid of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k

The vtec is an original varible valve set up ( vanos vvt etc ) like waynne says when you hit the swap over, 5600 rpm or thrabouts, the cam gets lifted slightly and opens the valves more. In all the years honda have built them, whih is around 20 give or take, not one has went wrong when the engines been left alone.

is there a way too convert my engine to a vtec? or would i need to buy a new vtec engine and fit it?

is it worth it?

also does anywhere know of any engine mod fitting shops in or around north london?

thx

Last edited:
Personally I'd go for the swap, but it depends on what engine you want and how much power you want. I'm paying £1700 for my B18C VTEC. That's the engine from an Integra Type R. I see it as worth it because of how much it can be tuned. I'll have 200bhp from standard. Other options are the B16B, which is 180bhp from a Civic Type R or the B16A which produces 160bhp from a Civic VTi. The B16A has various models though for different years, for a 1994 model you will need the B16A2. Price will vary on model, age and mileage. However, low mileage engines will be expensive (mine has 20000 miles on it) and hard to find...but totally worth the effort!

ye im gonna get myself to the local broker yard and have a rummage round and see what i uncover

if nothing turns up i myt have to go all out and lighten the wallet (need to save first tho)

would the b18c from an integra be a direct swap with my current engine or would i need to modify my car in someway?

i dnt like askin so many questions i feel like a little child but im new to the scene and these forums are really helpin me understand much more about my car and i learn so much about modding from them

thx guys

It should swap ok, maybe a little bit of work would be needed to make it run perfectly, but a tuning garage could easily do that. Don't forget though that when you order it though, you need more than just the engine...e.g. you'll also need the ecu. When ordering, make sure you specify that you need everything for an engine swap. Here's a link that shows you what Honda engines can be fitted in what Honda cars:

http://www.hondahookup.com/engine_swaps.php

Also, I don't know of anywhere in London that will do this, but I know of a place in Northampton.

http://www.jam-sport.co.uk/services_conversions.asp

They don't say on the website about honda conversions, but i've spoken to them and they can/will do it. They quoted me £500ish for the labour.

thx for the info

also how interchangable are car radiators cos my car needs a new radiator so do i have to get it from the same model civic or can it be any civics?

thx

Erm...as far as I know you can just swap them over. I'm not sure if any model Civic can be used as they may have different sizes, I've never looked into it. A simple call to Honda should give you an answer though.