Hmmm

TommyTwinCams

Track Warrior
Car
2004 Saturn Ion 2.2
Given my recent troubles with the Saturn, I've been CONTEMPLATING getting rid of it for a newer car. While at the New York Auto Show, I narrowed it down to 2 cars if I buy new.

Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo. 1.4L Turbo (138 HP), 6 speed manual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvgegyWLWs

Nissan Versa Note. 1.6L (109 HP), 5 speed manual. Base model (all other American models get a CVT automatic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxKRIjBm_kk

The Nissan doesn't hit showrooms for another month or so. I did look at other cars during the show. The Scion xD is outdated, the Honda Fit.... well I never liked Hondas. The Toyota Yaris is bland and somewhat quirky (I like quirky. But it's a Toyota. I don't need a car deciding to take off with me in in in an attempt to kill me). The Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are neat, but I've never trusted Korean cars as far as I can throw them. The Ford Fiesta is cool, and I would consider one if I didn't have to wait til this fall for the Fiesta ST. The Mazda 2 feels cheap and overpriced for how little tech you get.
:/
As for why I'm looking at these cars when I live in America, I'm 23 and like small hatchbacks.

Last edited:
The sonic sounds like a good buy to me. Why not get a car that is a few years old and avoid the heavy new car depreciation?

Chevrolet Sonic LT Turbo.
Nissan Versa Note.
Scion xD is outdated
Honda Fit.... well I never liked Hondas.
Toyota Yaris is bland
Hyundai Accent
Kia Rio
Ford Fiesta
Mazda 2

Got to level with you, the Honda Jazz is probably the best car there. Second would be the fiesta. I quite like the Yaris, but to be fair, I would never own one, but I can see the appeal if your female and live in a city.

Oh, sorry a fit?? Never herd of it. I thought it was the Jazz you were looking at.

Honda Jazz are certainly very very good cars in many respects can't ever go wrong with one of those I'm with joe on that. As for the Koreans, matey do your research, their reliability is not something you need to be concerned about. I've had a Hyundai Getz and now drive a Hyundai Tucson and they both pleseantly surprised me, I also know many people driving both stables, Kia and Hyundai and they all hold their cars in high regard. If the styling suited me I would drive either one of them any time.

Ok. I know Hyundai and Kia aren't as bad as they used to be, but I have a hard time trusting them after a friend blew the engine in his brand new Kia Spectra a year ago. :/
I respect the Honda Fit massively. But it is outdated compared to competitors. I'm not looking for space. If I wanted space, I'd go for the Fit. With my lifestyle, I could live practically with a 2 seater sportscar like the Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Mazda Miata, or Honda S2000. So space isn't a concern for me.
We don't get the Hyundai Getz or the Kia Cee'd here. I think the only Hyundai i model we get is the i30 badged as the Hyundai Elantra GT. A friend has a new Hyundai Elantra and she's b**ched about the gas mileage being far from what's advertised. It actually turned into a class action lawsuit over here and Hyundai responded by admitting it, and paying owners they money they WOULD'VE saved had the car gotten the advertised mileage. If they lie about their fuel economy, what else have they been lying about? Ford's Fiesta is tempting, but they's had notable issues with the dual clutch automatic that makes me question the build quality of the Mexican built North American models.

Since no one knows what the Scion xD is, here's a commercial and a review of one.
Commercials:
The Little Deviants
Explosion

Review:
Motorweek Review

If I were looking at used cars, the candidates would be as follows:
2007-2012 Nissan Versa hatchback
2004-2007 Scion xB
2004-2006 Scion xA
2007-2011 Toyota Yaris
2004-2011 Chevrolet Aveo
2007-2008 Honda Fit (Jazz. First gen)
Kia Rio
Hyundai Accent
2009-present Honda Fit (Jazz. second gen.)
2000-2005 Toyota Echo (first gen Yaris coupe and sedan. no hatchback option in USA)
Suzuki Reno (Chevrolet Lacetti hatchback in the UK)
Suzuki Forenza (Chevrolet Lacetti saloon in the UK)

America didn't get the Fiesta until 2011, or the Jazz/Versa/Yaris until 2007. America hasn't been too hatchback friendly until recently. It was actually the wild success of the Scion xB (and to a lesser extent, the Chevrolet Aveo) that convinced automakers that there was a market here for the cars. A buddy of mine has a 2006 Scion xB RS 3.0 (Release Series. These were special editions in limited numbers with special paint colors and occasionally, rims and body kits) in Envy Green and it's a great car. Another problem with small cars like this in America, is that most of them (the sole exceptions being the Chevrolet Aveo, Hyundai Accent, and Kia Rio) hold onto their value remarkably well, meaning even used cars aren't exactly bargains. If I went after a used hatchback, it would most likely be either a Scion xB, Scion xA, Nissan Versa, or a 2004-2008 Chevrolet Aveo (for a weird hot hatch project I'd been thinking about for years).
First Gen Scion xB Review
Scion xA review (Text)

Last edited:
Well this past Saturday, I went around to different dealers comparison shopping to possibly replace the Saturn.

I first went to a Nissan dealer and test drove a 2012 Nissan Versa (The last 2012 on the lot, and a silver 6 speed manual). The car was fine and shifted great, but the salesperson was an ass constantly insulting American cars and trying to force me to sign paperwork right then and there. I told him off and left.

I next went to a Chevrolet dealer (to test drive a Sonic Turbo) where a salesperson wouldn't give me the time of day unless I flashed some cash. No test drive and I left. The dealer will be getting a nasty-gram from me.

Next I went to a Toyota and Scion dealership, initially to look at a Toyota Yaris or Scion xD. I stated I wouldn't touch an automatic and I wanted a hatchback. turns out they had a manual hatchback (the only one on the lot) but it wasn't the model I asked for. I test drove the car anyways. The car was a 2013 Scion tC, in white with a 6 speed manual. This is a car often referred to as a warm hatch. Not quite a hot hatch and definitely no ordinary hatch. I fell in love with the car. It looks like a 2 door coupe, but it's a 3 door hatchback. The 180 HP 2.5L 4 cylinder engine was fast (and I mean faster than my V6 Monte Carlo). The suspension was stiff and taught, the way I like it, the seats were comfy but also grabbed you hard for corner carving. The steering wheel was fat, chunky and with a flat bottom, similar to a VW GTI. The car comes standard with an 8 speaker 300 watt Pioneer sound system (an 800 watt Alpine stereo with navigation is optional), 18 inch rims on sports tires, bluetooth, auxiliary/iPod and USB inputs, steering wheel radio controls, power mirrors, door locks and windows, and a panoramic sunroof. Price was about $19,995, or around 12,500 pounds when I ran it through a converter. color doesn't change the price and I would order it either in the available purple or blue (called Sizzling Crimson Mica, and Nautical Blue Metallic respectively). payments wouldn't be unreasonable. Now the question is whether to trad in my modified Saturn Ion or swap with Dad's girlfriend's stock automatic Saturn Ion (same year, body style, and color. She said she wanted a manual of the car and wanted me to convert her to standard anyways) and trade in her stock car for a better price. The Scion tC is also heavily encouraged to be modified, with lowering springs, big brake kits, exhaust, intakes, sway bars, and such all available at the dealer. The Scion tC is a car that can be modified and optioned out like no other. front suspension is a MacPherson strut set up and the rear utilizes a double wishbone setup. The chassis is heavily related to the European market Toyota Avensis.
2011 Scion tC Review
2012 Scion tC Review

I'd wait for the Fiesta ST and save in the meanwhile. It's out here and my mate has one already and it's a FANTASTIC car. I mean really good all round.

Really good.

I'd wait for the Fiesta ST and save in the meanwhile. It's out here and my mate has one already and it's a FANTASTIC car. I mean really good all round.

Really good.

My father would kill me if I looked at a Ford. Every Ford we've ever had was a huge pain, especially the last one we had. Only part that didn't fail on it was the transmission. He has to co-sign so his opinion matters too unfortunately.

My father would kill me if I looked at a Ford. Every Ford we've ever had was a huge pain, especially the last one we had. Only part that didn't fail on it was the transmission. He has to co-sign so his opinion matters too unfortunately.

That's a real shame as I think you are missing out a lot on the new ST.
Whatever you decide to go with Tommy I wish you the very best of luck with your combined choice of car :)

That's a real shame as I think you are missing out a lot on the new ST.
Whatever you decide to go with Tommy I wish you the very best of luck with your combined choice of car :)

I'm HEAVILY looking into the Scion tC now. I have a lot of number crunching to do, but I was able to sell Dad on the car as it's not a Toyota, it's a Scion.