Votes: 3 42.9%
  • none of the above, get another Bike.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
right, i have been informed that i am going to be getting about 2500 in inheratance from my dad (he didnt die, one of his mates did) he got a nice amount and has desided to give me an my siblings some.

so, what to spend it on?? im thinking a car as i have my test next month and i already (or will do on saturday) have my motorbike.

I've kinda narrowed it down to 3 choices.

Honda Civic 6th gen 1.6 Vtec B16A2 engine.

Audi A4 1.8T (160 bhp)

or find a nice classic mustang or plymouth hemi cuda 440 6 pack and do it up.

i can spend UP TO about 1800 on the car as i will need the rest for insurance or renovating the classic. (yes prince, i will be paying 870 a year to insure that civic :p)

help me out, is it possable to do any of those cars on that budget and find a nice example, or will it be too much work and money to bring the mustang/cuda back to glory??? btw i will be adding much more to the classic to bring it back as i have a job now, something like that cortina I linked from ebay a while ago.

also, yay and nay for each car and why would be good.

ps, i might have done something like this before, but after doing some research and looking around at cars, these are my choises.

Last edited:
Remember you will have to pay the insurance again in the second year. The Audi will hold its value better than the Civic so your money will last longer. I love the 1.8T engines so I am a bit biased.

As a first car you will almost certainly prang it like I and most of my friends did so I would still recommend a small boring car for the first year, then get something flashier when you have a years no claims bonus.

that is a good point, and about paying the insurance for the next year, well, i start my job on sunday so will be able to pay, just didnt want to spread it out over a year as its a bit cheaper if you pay in one go.

i know everyone always says, your first car you will prang it, well, it will be fully comp and have a 2000 miles limited milage police, mainly for TC meets and if its too cold/wet/windy to ride my bike to work or anyware.

didnt really want to get a boring little car, as i can get insured on the civic with 160bhp for less than a 1.4 seat ibiza,

civic - 870
ibiza - 1024.

not quite understanding the logic in that, but thats what it came out to when i phoned up for quotes.

well i said yank before i read it lol

you will not pick a mustang or a cuda up for that even a rusted out one that the scrap man dont want i looked at a 6 pot soft top mustang did not run had been sitting for 10 years and was rotton that went for 6-7k

you might get a v6 trans am for that and cheap insurance

Biased, but I would go for the Civic. If you can't find a 6th gen, you could always try hunting down a 5th gen (same engine). However, I also agree with waynne, I pranged my first car, so do a lot of people. It's a good idea to get yourself a little run around for a year and save your money for when you have a year or 2 no claims. In the long run you can buy a better car, not prang it and then insure it and maybe have some spare. Another point is (I think you've already mentioned this but I can't remember), are you going to go on your Dad's insurance? If so, be wary of fronting.