Headlight Condensation

Hey im having abit of trouble with condensation building up inside both my headlights on a Punto Mk 2 W reg.

P1010894.jpg

Any ideas how to reduce or get rid of it?

I heard 2 holes drilled in the top and bottom allow air to flow and evaporate the water but im unensure. If rather get a second opinion before i take a drill to it.

Cheers

Holes are a very bad idea. The water has got in or more likely water vapour has got in and it has condensed on the front. Holes would just let more water get in.

First up you need to get rid of the moisture, a hair drier is usually good enough. Take out the rubber cover at the back of the bulbs to allow this to escape. Do this a couple of times as there will often be a bit more condesation the following day.

Next you need to work out how the moisture got in. Check the rubber boots on the back of the bulbs look for cracks, holes or gaps around the headlight unit.

i had the same problem with my moped when i first got it about 2 years ago, i took it to a mechanic and he said he couldnt do anything and said the easyest thing to do was to replace the light, it was easy for me as it was under warranty but could have been quite expensive

I've had a similar problem with my current car. A bit of investigation reveals that headlight assemblies are now often made with replaceable lenses. Mine are of the polycarbonate type and are flat and clear, as are many. I wonder if the reason for making them replaceable is to keep the TCO figures for fleet operators down in order to encourage purchases of the cars.

When headlight were sealed (not the full sealed beam units) but when the whole assembly had to be replaced if a stone chip or puncture occured the cost was far too high.

The condensation should not really cause too much of a problem when the lights are on as the heat buildup soon evaporates the water. If there'a a puddle in the light unit then clearly it should be replaced.

HiD's are a different issue. They do not generate much heat and the high voltages involved might cause electrical problems elsewhere if water is present.

But I have yet to encounter a HiD that has water ingress problems.

condensation is there as a result of a hole = leak
best thing to do is on a very hot dry day, drive around with the lights on

this will get rid of any condensation, then seal the light up with clear or black silicone - depending

seal where the light lens meets the plastic backing, you;ll know what im on about as you should see a sealer there anyway

if you dont take pics and il show you

If this is a plastic (perspex) cover,

over the actual light assembly and not the lens... Take a look at some of the newer Jap/Korean cars.
They have a small hole of about 3-4mm dia. drilled into the cover.
I would imagine doing this in the same location should help.

There's a none design fault on SEAT's that causes this and people generally just drill them out.

I would wait until we get some hot weather and then leave the back of for a bit until it evaporates on it's own. Then but the casing back on and see if that cures it before looking at seals. Easy solution first.

This is common with aftermarket lightsm, including mine (which is why i'm getting some EK9 lights). First tip is to stick with OEM lights. Second is to follow waynne's advice. Do not drill holes in your lights!

This is common with aftermarket lightsm,......... Do not drill holes in your lights!

I'm sure the guy not only has enough opinions now but is more than capable of making that decision for himself.

Besides, it's the plastic cover over the lights I believe the guy is asking about. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure the guy not only has enough opinions now but is more than capable of making that decision for himself.

Besides, it's the plastic cover over the lights I believe the guy is asking about. :)

The idea of a forum is to discuss things and to get as many opinions as possible. I was simply pointing out that a lot of aftermarket lights do this so that any viewers of this thread can think twice before getting some. That way some people will not make the same mistake as I did and waste some of their hard earned money. No where in his post does he mention plastic covers. Condensation can come from various places in a light. If he procedes to drill holes anywhere he will allow more moisture in. Yes the condensation is on the plastic cover, but that does not mean the condensation is coming from the plastic cover. :)