Header

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
:confused: i'm confused now...which one is better for acceleration actually?
A 4-2-1 setup will boost power lower down the rev range. A 4-1 will boost it up high. As your power band is up high I'd go with a 4-1 setup.

For example on my Civic I would have gone with a 4-1 as the all the power was in the last few thousand revs.

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
out off topics actually but still in a same reason "for better acceleration"
which is better for airflow?
picture 1 or picture 2?
In all honesty I doubt there is any real difference in performance, just noise. Picture 2 looks like the cold air feed has been routed down to the bumper, but picture 1 looks like the intake is at the front (possible through the grill). Instead of an induction kit it may just be better to up rate the panel filter.

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
In all honesty I doubt there is any real difference in performance, just noise. Picture 2 looks like the cold air feed has been routed down to the bumper, but picture 1 looks like the intake is at the front (possible through the grill). Instead of an induction kit it may just be better to up rate the panel filter.
actually in the picture 1, the routed from snorkel to t/body is quite far and its original route factory setup. picture 2, i'm customizing the routed to make it short to the throttle body. the air box are the sport air filter with carbon box shield and i still remain the snorkel. the shorter the air route is better for engine responds right?

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
actually in the picture 1, the routed from snorkel to t/body is quite far and its original route factory setup. picture 2, i'm customizing the routed to make it short to the throttle body. the air box are the sport air filter with carbon box shield and i still remain the snorkel. the shorter the air route is better for engine responds right?
Factory setups are usually quite good. The main ingredient in a cold air intake is cold air. Just make sure the filter does not suck in warm air and it will perform fine.

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
A 4-2-1 setup will boost power lower down the rev range. A 4-1 will boost it up high. As your power band is up high I'd go with a 4-1 setup.

For example on my Civic I would have gone with a 4-1 as the all the power was in the last few thousand revs.
I have to disagree, Prince :)

When accelerating, you spend VERY little time at the top of the rev range, most time is spent increasing RPM and for this you need lbs/ft. For acceleration torque is everything, forget BHP.

For normal driving the 4:2:1 is also much better because it is producing more torque in the rev range you use most of the time.

If you were using the car on the race track in competition the 4:1 would be, IMO, the better choice as you would be spending a lot more time up in the high rev band.

However, for the power levels you are dealing with I doubt that you will notice much, if any, difference on the road if both manifolds are designed for the engine spec.

Last edited:

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
I have to disagree, Prince :)

When accelerating, you spend VERY little time at the top of the rev range, most time is spent increasing RPM and for this you need lbs/ft. For acceleration torque is everything, forget BHP.

For normal driving the 4:2:1 is also much better because it is producing more torque in the rev range you use most of the time.

If you were using the car on the race track in competition the 4:1 would be, IMO, the better choice as you would be spending a lot more time up in the high rev band.

However, for the power levels you are dealing with I doubt that you will notice much, if any, difference on the road if both manifolds are designed for the engine spec.
We'll have to agree to disagree then :).

I quite like the power being at the higher end of the RPM range. It gives you two different cars in one. My Civic was economically up to 4000rpm then it became a different car. This would be a reason for my manifold choice.

I do agree with what you're saying though. I think the main difference you will achieve is improved throttle response.

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
We'll have to agree to disagree then :).

I quite like the power being at the higher end of the RPM range. It gives you two different cars in one. My Civic was economically up to 4000rpm then it became a different car. This would be a reason for my manifold choice.

I do agree with what you're saying though. I think the main difference you will achieve is improved throttle response.
I think we are probably agreeing on the effect different manifolds have, but I am looking at the overall performanace of the car. Yes, there will be an increase in BHP at the top of the range helping the engine to rev higher and making top end acceleration quicker (for a short rev range). However, the car will take longer to get up the the RPM where the 4:1 manifold begins to work. If you want the car to accelerate the fastest you need power over the whole usable range, which is what I believe the 4:2:1 configuration gives you.

There is the small matter, or course, of matching the cams, timing, etc to the manifold, but that is a whole new, large, kettle of fish :)

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
There is the small matter, or course, of matching the cams, timing, etc to the manifold, but that is a whole new, large, kettle of fish :)
Just for the record and not to confuse matters... You don't have to do this if you're just improving the exhaust system.

But if you're going crazy then why not throw in some big bore throttle bodies as well.

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
i'm agree with both of u guys opinion...but the main focus is i'm looking for better acceleration. currently i'm using 4-2-1 the acceleration is just nice but i lost in the low torque power. now is time for me to try the 4-1 setup... :)

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
Factory setups are usually quite good. The main ingredient in a cold air intake is cold air. Just make sure the filter does not suck in warm air and it will perform fine.
to be honest with u when i'm changing to a new routed, i feel the difference in engine responds and the rpm raise up very fast...and the most best things is...the sound of the air sucking into the throttle body...:amuse:

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
to be honest with u when i'm changing to a new routed, i feel the difference in engine responds and the rpm raise up very fast...and the most best things is...the sound of the air sucking into the throttle body...:amuse:
From the cars I've had changing the intake would be pointless. I might give it a go on the Beemer though.

Have you thought about getting big bore throttle bodies (aka BBTBs)?

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
From the cars I've had changing the intake would be pointless. I might give it a go on the Beemer though.

Have you thought about getting big bore throttle bodies (aka BBTBs)?
i've thought about that but there's no performance part produces the bbtb for gen2...so far that i concern.

ur beemer is single vanos or double vanos?

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
i've thought about that but there's no performance part produces the bbtb for gen2...so far that i concern.

ur beemer is single vanos or double vanos?
It's neither mate. The M42 engine doesn't have it. It's valvetronic I think.

You could always have your throttle bodies bored out. Might be expensive though.

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
will u mods this m42?:bigsmile:
Plan to. For the engine itself I plan a cat-back exhaust (stainless steel and 2 1/4 inch diameter) and a de-cat to match. I'll be going for some BBTBs and I may play around with the air intake depending on funds. It's either going to be a panel filter, or a carbon intake. Quite a difference in price between the two :lol:. After I've finished doing that I'll be getting it remapped. After everything above I am hoping for 160bhp+.

I'm also planning a couple of brake upgrades and a couple thousand pounds worth of suspension upgrades.

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
Plan to. For the engine itself I plan a cat-back exhaust (stainless steel and 2 1/4 inch diameter) and a de-cat to match. I'll be going for some BBTBs and I may play around with the air intake depending on funds. It's either going to be a panel filter, or a carbon intake. Quite a difference in price between the two :lol:. After I've finished doing that I'll be getting it remapped. After everything above I am hoping for 160bhp+.

I'm also planning a couple of brake upgrades and a couple thousand pounds worth of suspension upgrades.
nicee...im sure u can get 160bhp+...
is that true if we cutting off the middle muffler can make the exhaust flow is more smoother? but im sure that the sound from the exhaust is louder right?

Prince

Torque King
From
Northampton, England
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
nicee...im sure u can get 160bhp+...
is that true if we cutting off the middle muffler can make the exhaust flow is more smoother? but im sure that the sound from the exhaust is louder right?
Basically the catalytic converter is restrictive as far as air flow goes. It's great for controlling emissions but not so good for helping performance. What you can do is replace it with a straight through pipe. This is called a de-cat. Prices vary depending on vehicle and size required. The thing you need to remember though is the de-cat needs to be the same size as your exhaust. So take my car for example, the exhaust diameter will be 2 1/4 inches, so the de-cat diameter must also be 2 1/4 inches.

The exhaust will be louder which is something to consider if noise limits are an issue. In the UK your exhaust isn't supposed to be louder than 105dB IIRC for track days. The Nurburgring uses a 95dB limit.

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
I've never heard of this tbh. I can't imagine why it would be needed.
ermmm...that thing is like a small fan and it located after the airbox filter (inside the rampipe). can u describes it?:amuse: the seller told that the mini fan is just like a mini turbine for n/a car...can deliver more air inside the engine same as a real turbine do...
that what they are claims...:lol:

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
From
Alone in the dark.
Car
Insignia SRI.
Those little fan things that sit in the intake pipe are a load of rubbish.
If anything they would restrict airflow as they can't spin fast enough.;)

CPSycho

Wrench Pro
From
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Car
Proton Gen2 CPS
Those little fan things that sit in the intake pipe are a load of rubbish.
If anything they would restrict airflow as they can't spin fast enough.;)
ermm...i think ur right bro...if the air has been block so the engine wont breathing smoothly and swallow more fuel...am i right?;)

this is one of the example...

Attachments

Last edited: