handheld remapping devices

theballboy

Tuner
Car
mondeo tdci
Im trying to get a list of all companies out there that offer the handheld devices which can hold one of more maps that enable the customer to upload and swap maps as and when required.

Examples - Superchips bluefin
Celtictuning emotion.

Anyone know of others tha I can investigate
Thanks

Begs a good question then. Do most users on here flash their own ecu this way if they have their motor mapped at all.

the unit celtic use is also used by alot of other companies - chipped uk call it a ST3 for example. really unless your wanting to track the car then theres no point as you dont really need more than 1 map.
ie fast road will do most people but for track days you may want a track map which is normally alot rougher on the drivetrain so not advised for daily driving

My thoughts are that the map could be wiped possibly by servicing. Then what?

Other thoughts are that for some you can reinstall original for insurance reasons if you have not declared.

I think I read something on here about people not declaring to insurance companies. One could argue, why would you?

I wonder what kind of a premium hike in terms of percentage you would be looking at for declaring

If you don't declare mods, your insurance is null and void.

Fixed penalty is £200 + 6 points, but if you are persistant then you are looking at a ban.

Re-maps are harder to detect, but if the companies get suspicious that this is happening regularly, then they may start insisting on checking in the event of a write-off.

doesnt matter if you use a hand held or a remap. if they suspect something they will find it. easiest way is normally ECUs have a flash counter also store the details of garage, machine number, operator, time, date.

most companies with reflash for free if it is wiped by servicing which shouldnt happen as the ECU isnt a part of the service

insurance will depend on your age, length or diving experiance, NCB, increase in power, etc some companies will only charge maybe £80 some are trailing it free as long as you meet their conditions. where as some charge an absolute fortune for it

didnt realise the whole flash counter thing. Thing is however, I dont trust insurance companies and realise fully that they are all out to make money from you and do so in devious ways.

One issue is when you renew insurance and later declare, because your already in that insurance 12 mnth set up they really hike it up.

Gonna be going to get some quotes soon.
Had an accident few years back - 50/50 liability (but still lost 2 years of my 4 years NCB (step back)) however am back up to 4 years again.

Any recommended companies who are financially sympathetic to remaps?

Remember Im in Northern Ireland and some companies just wont operate here

Adrian Flux, Norwich Union, Most independent brokers can negotiate deals on remap. There is a company called Chris Knot as well. Mention you are a TorqueCars member and you will often get a discount.

Insurance companies make no profit at all on car insurance. It's one of those necessary evils of the insurance business.

I would advise everyone to disclose everything to their insurer rather than risk being found out. Your 3rd party liability will still be met (the insurers have to do this) but you will still be charged with the offence of driving without insurance.