TCU Remapping

bax

Torque Junkie
Car
Rexton 270xdi 2005
i came across TCU Remapping a few days ago and i cant seem to shake the idea out of my head , not with all the good things its supposed to grant ... what can you guys tell me about TCU Remapping and should i consider it for my Diesel 2.7 Liter car ?

They claim that TCU Remap improves Upshifting and down shifting be it speed or efficiency ..
they also claim an improvement in Horsepower and Torque
Fuel consumption is improved due to faster up shifts
better response for overtaking
higher top speeds and faster acceleration times

now all of that makes sense to me BUT there has to be a downside if you ask me , most likely it will shorten the life span of the Transmission , will probably need to use higher quality ATF and will have to do Maintenance more often to preserve the life of the Gearbox .... im just guessing here but these seem like the rational downside .. more stress means lower lifespan or so i was told

Depends how you use it. Manufacturer maps for engines and transmissions are set very conservatively to cope with poor maintenance, even neglect. If you are happy to drive the car considerately ie. no high revs or high loads when cold, no full kickdown operation when cold, don't switch off the engine when it's hot after hard driving (let it idle for 2-3 minutes before switching off) then I can't see you will encounter problems.

Transmission oil changing is a much discussed topic. Never go below the manufacturers spec fluids, even if you are changing frequently. Same for engine oil. Better to run 12,000 miles on the correct oiil as opposed to 3000 on the wrong stuff.

Am I correct in saying that your car has a Mercedes Benz CDI diesel unit?

The engine and Transmission are provided by Mercedes Benz yes , it uses a 5 speed Automatic gearbox possibly the same one used on the Mercedes Sprinter or the ML290/ML270 .. i dont know which one exactly but it came from a Mercedes Benz for sure