Going from an Auto back to a manual

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does driving a manual stay with you forever like riding a bike?

Has anyone driven an auto for many years and then gone back to a manual? How did you fare? Was it a fairly easy switch? Did you have the odd manual car to have a go in on occasions?

I had to drive the lazy way for four months in 2009. When I came back to the UK, it took verry little if any time at all. I was so looking forward to driving manual again, I loved having to change gears again. I hate Auto's with a passion. Its a shame the Nissan GT-R only comes in Auto. As that is the only car i'm going to own that will have an auto.

I'm really sold on the tiptroinic and steptronic paddle shift gearboxes. They give the best of both worlds but I worry that as we only have one car I'm going to be a clutch cruncher if I ever get back into a manual.

Nha, if you find you are, just move the seat slightly closer, and you will make sure you foot goes right to the floor. Untill you get used to it. :amuse:

Driven both over the years and never had any issues. Its the same if someone asked you where's reverse gear in your car? I bet most won't know it, once in the car we know without thinking, outside the car another matter!

Driven both over the years and never had any issues. Its the same if someone asked you where's reverse gear in your car? I bet most won't know it, once in the car we know without thinking, outside the car another matter!

You have just had me scratching me head there..... its right and back! :bigsmile:

I think........:confused: or is that the Works astra? No the astra is defo lift up, left and up.

Confused.com

does not worry me what i drive as i drive both everyday

but do have to remember sometimes when i am driving a auto not to change gear
turns out you hit the brake and you hit the steering wheel lol

I will happily drive either without concern. I drove automatic almost exclusively from 1997 through to 2005 except for the occasional courtesy car when service time came around. I've never had any problems going from one to t'other.

Not all Tiptronic type boxes are a manual substitute. My 5 series has the Steptronic 6 spd box but it's still a torque converter type automatic, albeit a very good one with very smooth and quick shifts in either mode.

The DSG sequential boxes of the type that VAG uses very successfully are generally superior to traditional autos of the type fitted to my car.

I like decent automatics. I also like decent manuals. I also dislike poor quality transmissions of either type.

So, in short. No - it's not a problem either way really.

Driving a modern car with a clutch and manual box does not require any special skills. Light and well cushioned clutches coupled to full synchromesh gearboxes make it a doddle.

really dislike driving cars with Auto boxes, although unfortunately have no choice and most of the year have to live with an auto box. Only once back driving the Scooby am i in manual mode but you just 'know' how to drive it.

I get really bored with auto's. The C2 I borrowed had a rubbish auto box.
It had paddles on the wheel too for semi auto but was rubbish it would only go up gears when it was ready not when I wanted it to.

I drive both daily, sometimes I forget to press the clutch at a junction when I brake but not often. I find a huge change in driving is when i get out of a diesel van and into a petrol car

The car itself was fine. Handled the snow very well indeed and didn't get stuck once.
I hated the auto box though.

Some autos can be extremely obstructive. Hunting between gears constantly and then flatly refusing to go down when you want to overtake. My father-in-law had an old 520i that was like this. Very scary trying to get into a roundabout in 4th at 15mph!

Some autos can be extremely obstructive. Hunting between gears constantly and then flatly refusing to go down when you want to overtake. My father-in-law had an old 520i that was like this. Very scary trying to get into a roundabout in 4th at 15mph!

my dad had a 520i with the auto box, i found that quite responsive for a 'M' reg car. in fact a few months after, i drove a 2.0i mondeo with an auto box and thought it was no where near as good as the bmw. The mondeo was on a 'V' plate and was about 2 years old at the time.

does not worry me what i drive as i drive both everyday

but do have to remember sometimes when i am driving a auto not to change gear
turns out you hit the brake and you hit the steering wheel lol

Yeah, know of someone who did that whilst overtaking once.

Wouldn't have been a problem had the 2 drivers behind not been tailgating.

(Aftermath: Policeman came along, 2 drivers behind being abusive, driver of first car told bobby what had happened. Bobby thanked driver 1 for telling truth, told drivers 2 & 3 no arrests being made, but pointed out they were equally at fault for tailgating. Then driver 3's father turns up. Seems Dad was "fronting" for his son on the insurance, which earned them another verbal warning.)