go karts

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
does anyone go go karting or have done karting in the past?
i went round buckmore park on sunday for the first time, just a little tester, a quarter of an hour round the club circet. (600m, international i.e full one is 1200m) an it was great fun, jumped streight into the thunderkarts, 80mph beasties, got a tuned 390cc tuned honda engine.
now i've never been karting before but ooooooooh i thought the pick up on full throttle was pretty good, just got to remember to slow down for the corners lol... what happerned on the first few, flew down the streight, turned in, an almost understeered right into the tire wall, if i didnt have my wits about me i would have hit it :p
anywho, what do other people think of go karting for a bit of fun, i know people like fingers will say, "ahh its for kids you should go to the strip for real speed"
but i really liked it, the best bit is having the back end step out an then having to drift it round the corner to not having a bad spin.

i love karting the first time i ever did it was on my stag night nearly 2 years ago and we did a grand prix session and i actually came 38th out of 40 but have been a few more times since and the last time i actually came 3rd
out of the 40 so i am improving :bigsmile:
you sort of get a small insight into proper racing the way you are all in very similar powered karts so its all down to actual driving skill and your nerve of weather you choke and loose a position when someone is behind you or weather you can force the person infront to make a mistake or take the risk of a black flag and actually nudge someone (this has happened to me and will admit i have done it :toung:)

ah i didnt have to worry about not having the confidence in the corners, just gave it all, an spun a few times lol... what i want to know is, well i dont know if its the same everywere, but the carts i were driving only had breaks on the back wheels, so if you were coming into the corner a bit hot, turned an then touched the break it span me round.i know your told to not break on a corner, but sometimes its needed :/

I loved carting. First time I did it was in the wet and on slicks it was fantastic fun. I think I learnt more about vehicle dynamics on that day than I did from years of motoring. You are so close to the ground and they are so light you get a real impression of speed.

The carting track down at Lydd is outstanding and you really do get to learn the basics of racing lines, slow in fast out etc...

oooh didnt know that lydd had one.... whats it like compaired to buckmore park?
heres an interesting fact, lewis hamilton and jenson button both started there racing carrers at buckmore park.
i agree with waynne, i learn a lot having a little stint on a kart, like how to stop understeer when your sliding and gonna cream it into a wall. and how to control it when the backend comes loose and then having to play with the throttle and s wheel to get an awsome drift round a corner.
its great fun prince you really should try, google for the nearest track an get a couple of mates down with you, you will love it. even more if the karts are rear wheel drive as i know a couple of places that are front wheel drive.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Actually I quite like Karting. :cheesy:
Karting is great fun and I used to go regulary and even have a trophy. It has been a while since I have been, but we have had to put a 6 man endurance team together as we have been invited to a big outdoor track in Harlow, Essex to do a 2 hour race next month. And get this, it's against a bloke in a white outfit usually seen on Top Gear, how cool is that!!! I have got Jo to put me on a diet as I will need all the help I can get. The mans just going to toy with us.

I love Karting, I went when I was in denmark last summer and on these real race karts. The small ones are not as fun. When you learn how to controle it with your right foot that is the most fun driving experience I've ever had. I actually came in 2nd out of 12 which I think is a pretty good place for a first timer. Never spun, Just took the first two practise laps slowly and learnt how to controle it and than gave it the full throttle at the straight. Had a few near misses here and there but I allways got through but the one who won me was slightly faster through the last corner :sad2:

Have done a bit years ago, indoor only though. I was always beaten by lighter, leaner, and probably more skilled kart drivers. Never got a first place.