Getting the damn exhaust off my mk2 golf - Help please!

poboyle

Wrench Pro
Hi, i was just wondering if any of you could help me with a problem i'm having on my mk2 golf gti 8v. Basically, there's something wrong with the engine and the head has to come off, but this isn't the problem... According to the Haynes manual (grr), it has a 16v exhaust and to take the head off, we need to take off the exhaust or the manifold (i'm not sure of specifics exactly, my dad is working on it and i'm up here doing an essay :( ). The problem lies with getting it off, the manifold he tells me is too close to the engine and the engine is too far back so to get that we'd have to basically take the engine out, and dismantling the exhaust further down (not sure what this part is called sorry, still learning) there are 6 bolts holding it in place, but the centre ones on either side are inaccessible. Have any of you come across this problem before? Is there an easier way than moving the whole engine to get these buggers out?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

On some cars you can just loosen the engine mounting bolts and twist the engine to give more access. I presume he is under the car as well as going in through the top. Would radiator removal help to give a different angle of attack?

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry, he's done it now. Had to crack one of the bolts off something i think to get a cover off to get access. Found out after taking the head off (missed it before) that the reason the top part siezed was because oil couldn't get to the camshaft because of a blockage and probably something got inbetween and gouged into the shaft and the bearing that it sits in. We're probably going to just smooth it off as best we can, unblock the blockage, regrind the valves for good measure and then put it back together.

mk2 doesnt have a cover on the manifold bolts. you just have to get under there with a good few extensions and knuckes to get to the middle front bolt. all others are easy to take off.