gearbox ratios

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
hi all, going to pick your brains again. Some of you may remember I had to get a new gearbox in the polo a few months ago and i said that the ratios seemed a lot shorter which was great for acceleration though I wasnt all that happy but I decided to live with it anyway.

However after a 800 mile trip yesterday I can say that im definately not happy with the gearbox. I usually sit at 57mph on the motorway most of the time to get good fuel economy but with the new 'box 57mph equates to over 3000rpm. If I want to do 70 its 4000rpm so as you can imagine it eats fuel.

I phoned the guy up who installed the new gearbox and he assured me that it was a 1.4 polo gearbox he put in. But im not too sure, he had 4 other polos waiting for gearboxes and since the majority of them are 1.4 I think he had difficulty in getting one and hes stuck a gearbox for a 1.0 polo in instead.

Before I go back over on my high horse is there anyway of verifying the ratios or that this is the right 'box or not? Any serial numbers arent apparant on the casing, but I was wondering if someone would be able to tell the ratios maybe on a diagnostics test, is this possible?

Oh, yeah, think a bearings about to go too:(

I think my Civic at 70-80mph used to be around 3.5 to 4k/rpm... That never had a gearbo change.

My cousin drove a Mazda and said that drank fuel at 4krpm too...

but those are just hunches mate. not entirely sure on diagnostics.

How do you tolerate 57mph on a motorway? Thats like, HGV speeds. You must sit inbetween all of them wondering when you're going to be crushed!! :p

I usually sit at around 80-90 on the motorway, 6th gear, then chill out. Was the same in the 1.4 Civic too, but in 5th, and a little more cautiously as it wasnt as solid.... :D

haha, wait to next year, start work in Reading and ill buy a DB9 and be uber quick. well maybe thats a slight exageration (you can tell that i should have probably failed A level english:rolleyes:)

sorry steve the diagnostics will only come back with what the sensors say.

one of the sisters mates has a 1.0 polo will ask her what speeds she gets

im going with the speed showing on ma sat nav, which coincides with the speed displayed on those signs when you go through villages.

btw, what is the final ratio exactly?

If your Sat Nav coincides with the speedo then you can assume that the speedo is reading correctly.

Final drive is the part of the transmission that governs the overall gearing ratio. It's the final part of the transmission before the driveshafts to the wheels in a FWD car.

For example - assume that 4th gear is 1:1 ie. direct within the gear selection assembly. There will still be a reduction gearing before drive goes to the wheels.

So you might find that the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4 etc. Polo's all have the same 5 speed 'box but with the larger engined versions having a 'taller' final drive ratio, thereby making all the gears longer with respect to a Polo with a smaller engine that has a shorter (lower) final drive ratio.

I do think you need to go back to the garage that fitted the g/b as clearly the revs you're taking about are extremely high for 50 odd mph.

Quite apart from fuel usage it must make for bloody tiresome journeys.

ah i now see. i knew the final ratio had something to do with the ratio through all the gears just wasnt sure what it was exactly.

yeah, 8 hours at 56mph and 3000rpm is pretty gruelling

That would do it for me as well. 3000rpm in my car is just over 98mph, which is OK as it's a hushed engine anyway but I don't fancy being stuck with it at 3000rpm turning in 56mph!!!

I suppose I could liken it to driving all the way from here to North Devon in third gear!!!

A visit to the garage methinks.

Cheers,

Rgds,

P.

hi all, going to pick your brains again. Some of you may remember I had to get a new gearbox in the polo a few months ago and i said that the ratios seemed a lot shorter which was great for acceleration though I wasnt all that happy but I decided to live with it anyway.

However after a 800 mile trip yesterday I can say that im definately not happy with the gearbox. I usually sit at 57mph on the motorway most of the time to get good fuel economy but with the new 'box 57mph equates to over 3000rpm. If I want to do 70 its 4000rpm so as you can imagine it eats fuel.

I phoned the guy up who installed the new gearbox and he assured me that it was a 1.4 polo gearbox he put in. But im not too sure, he had 4 other polos waiting for gearboxes and since the majority of them are 1.4 I think he had difficulty in getting one and hes stuck a gearbox for a 1.0 polo in instead.

Before I go back over on my high horse is there anyway of verifying the ratios or that this is the right 'box or not? Any serial numbers arent apparant on the casing, but I was wondering if someone would be able to tell the ratios maybe on a diagnostics test, is this possible?

Oh, yeah, think a bearings about to go too:(

Hi,
me too the same problem, really the same...

Now do you have solve the problem? and if yes which is the right gearbox code that is the right one?

tks