gear box oil

markcivic

bought some slick 50 gear box oil for ma b16a2 lookin to put it in tomo but could do wit a run thru of wat to do and wat not to do,oh and where the hell the gear box chamber is....any tips people?

should have a bolt somewhere that comes out, oil goes in there. sorry cant be any clearer on that without having a manal floating about. a haynes manual should show you

bought some slick 50 gear box oil for ma b16a2 lookin to put it in tomo but could do wit a run thru of wat to do and wat not to do,oh and where the hell the gear box chamber is....any tips people?
hi mate,
i changed mine yesterday and to be honest its a piece of cake

theres 2 bolts, 1 for draining the oil is at the very bottom of the gear box
when you take of the wheel, it becomes clearer

you will see this bolt, but it takes a square shaped allon key to open this
how you know its the right 1 is, it looks totaly differant to all the other bolts and its the lowest down bolt on the gearbox

drain the oil, then tighten it up

now the 1 for putting the oil in is some where up where the drive is
either to the left or right of it,
this is a bigger bolt than the 1 for draining and on mine its a nut, not an allon key

until you go at it you wont know what it is, but all i can say is when these bolts are losen off, you will see their 2 black holes, thats how you know

while your putting in the slick 50, change the oil completely( if its not already intented) and get it from main dealers only
if shes vtec they recomend only 1 product MTF and its like water, but its brillant stuff,
i no longer have a crunchy 1st gear in the mornings when its cold

so hope that helps you out markcivic and its 2 litres of MTF you need

best of luck, and if you dont know what im saying, post me pics of the gearbox with the wheel off, and il show you the bolts in question

thanks for that reply mate its pretty much the info id sourced since 1st post,ive not even done it yet! ive sourced that full synthetic oil and gear oil is the way forward,i have full for engine but cant find f.s.gear oil at all-not at 75w or 80w90 anyway.honda mtf is not f.s is it?glad to know it sorted ya 1st gear crunching tho,lets hope it sorts my second gear out.cheers prevtec

thanks for that reply mate its pretty much the info id sourced since 1st post,ive not even done it yet! ive sourced that full synthetic oil and gear oil is the way forward,i have full for engine but cant find f.s.gear oil at all-not at 75w or 80w90 anyway.honda mtf is not f.s is it?glad to know it sorted ya 1st gear crunching tho,lets hope it sorts my second gear out.cheers prevtec
No Bothers

and the MTF is in 5 gallon drums in the workshop over here
but i bring an emty 2 litre of coke bottle with me, and they fill the thing up for me and charge me 15 euros

try it mate,someone in honda is bout to sort you out

Make sure the car is level when you fill it up, if it's leaning backwards, there won't be enough oil in the tranny.
And use new crush washers on the drain and filler plugs.

The drain plug is removable with a 3/8 ratchet, the other plug is an ordinary 17mm bolt.

Red arrow = filler plug (45Nm)
Green arrow = drain plug (40Nm)
Aftapplug_bakolie.jpg

About the amount of oil; it should top up to right under the driveshafts entrance into the motor, so let's say 1.8 or 1.9 liters.
Ow, and please use Honda MTF, nothing else.