Following a car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever been in a convoy and had to follow a car closely through heavy traffic.

It seems to always get pretty hary especially in London. My worst experience ever was on the Paris Periferique in rush hour traffic. The minute you lose concentration there are 3 or 4 other cars that squeeze in the gap between you.

What are your experiences at following a car?

i am always in a convoy think he worst one was when we was going to the essex meet and there was road works some got through and i was stuck in the lead and the sat nav was turned off as the battery was just about to dye but made it

but think the funnyest one was the first show this year leaving guildford turning right from burger king and we went on the wrong side of the road well we all was in yank cars so was the right side lol we only found out after a few 100 meters when all the signs were the wrong way round and the rest of the group were on the other side of the road must of been about 5 of us lol

Convoy driving is quite a skill. It's best to put the route leader at front and then put the quicker drivers toward the back. That way the convoy can stay together even if other drivers want to make multiple overtaking moves. The rearmost drivers should be those best placed to overtake and reassume position at the back of the convoy. I'd rather be at the back of a convoy led by a 1.0 Micra than be at the front of one followed by 1.0 Micras, the drivers of which have no chance of maintaining pace.

It's quite a stressful time for both leader and followed. Certainly, leading needs more than usual care, making sure that your 'brood' all got through the last traffic light etc. Trying to follow an inconsiderate leader is worse, especially in a strange city where you could get lost at any moment.