Focus 1.8 Zetec performance mods?

Matt Evans

Hi.
I have a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2003 and am looking at some performance upgrades to squeeze a little more power out of it.
I have already fitted an induction kit and am fitting a cat back exhaust system next week.
Been doing a bit of research and other items on the to do list are an FSE boost valve, Bluefin by Superchips ECU map and a Milltek free flow manifold.

Can anyone tell me if this is a logical way forward and if so, what else can be done short of Supercharging it!

Matt

Ok. Thanks for the advice.
Would the remap need to come after all other modifications have been made in order to be fully beneficial?
Also, I'm guessing a custom remap needs to be done by a specific garage. Would most that specialize in performance cars be able to do this?

Thanks.

Matt

Cams are worth considering. You are right in thinking the remap should come last as it ties in all the other components.

Hi Matt,

There is so much potential in the Zetec, I work with these engines as a direct result of mates company and some kit cars i build,

The heads have alot more BHP to come out of them especially with a high lift cam, Supercharger and Turbos are a way to go but make sure if your spending money to get a good kit, i have built a low psi kit for one of these and worked really well but heard of some people getting more problems then it was worth,

I reckon let me know what sort of BHP you are looking for and sort of budget then i will be happy to give me opnion

I don't have the money to Supercharge it (unfortunately) so basically looking for the biggest gain I can get from other mods.
I'm guessing a fast road cam the same as a high lift cam?
Also, Kent Cams does a regrinding of the original cams. Is this recommended or is it a better idea to purchase new cams.

Thanks.

If you go for a regrind your car is off the road for a while. New cams will mean the downtime is soley for the change over.

Hi Matt,

I reckon we get you a new cam rather then a regrind for the exact reasons that wayne said and the process of a regrind doesn't do the cam the best,

I talked to the man in charge of heads and he believes that if you stuck with the 1.8 head you will be able to gain more due to the head having more 'meat' to play with,

If you combine the two then it will give you great performance gains working together however just doing one will not show the true potential

Hi Matt,

Yes i reckon this would be the best option,

Let me get a rough estimate on this for you