Flames out of the exhaust.

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Do you get flames out of your exhaust with special tuning? How do you get blue or yellow flames from your exhaust? Does it damage anything? I guessing its illegal. I've seen drifting cars which do flames so it seems to be more than a chavvy street trick.

More importantly do you think it is cool to shoot flames from your exhaust?

there are a few flame kits out there, but they are illigal.

i think it involves something along the lines of getting a fuel line and injector into the exsaust and a spark plug to ignight the fuel.

Can be done by cutting the ignition temporarily, sending unburnt fuel into the exhaust. A spark plug (or similar) if fitted near to the end of the exhaust in order to ignite this fuel. This is why cars doing flame outs sound rough.

Flames coming out of drift cars is probably due to turbo over run when lifting off the throttle. You will also see it a lot in British Touring Car races.

on carb engines its simple to get one... rev to about 4000rpm, turn of the ignition for half a sec and turn back on...POOP!!!
hehe'
that's what i did... but now im EFI....
if u get a lot of unburnt fuel down ur pipe and when a flow of hot gas comes down it should throw out a flame!

I remember a mate doing the engine off trick with a carb fed Fiat Strada. When he switched back on the ensuing explosion ripped a bloody great hole in the rear silencer :))

Its a great way to kill your cat. Highly tuned turbo engines can spit blueish flames but the yellow flames are usually just unburnt fuel. I've seen some cars with spark plugs in the exhaust set to run rich and they shoot out flames. This is pretty pointless. Ideally you want all the burn to happen inside the cylinder - why use the exhaust to carry a flame front when it will have no effect on engine power.

Waynne: "why use the exhaust to carry a flame front when it will have no effect on engine power?"

I think the late Sir Frank Whittle might disagree with you there :)

an exhaust which coudl possibly let out a flame without a kit is the remus exhaust, its road legal and its what the vauxhaul vxr touring cars have, the ones that make a pop, if your lucky you can get one for £800 fitted. they have a sudden drop near the back box which has fuel stored in and when you change gear it blow it out quickly which allows for the pop

i used to get flames from my gsi and after reading this thread i guess the chip must have been making the car over fuel i just thought it was normal on a car with a bit of tuning