Are exhaust flames cool or just for da kids

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What are your thoughts on cars that shoot flames out of the exhaust?

When the flame is blue and comes from the overrun of a highly tuned performance car it looks great in my opinion but when Corsas spit out yellow flames it just looks plain wrong.

Can you tune a car to properly throw out flames from the ehxaust? Is it good for the exhaust/cat? Are flamer kits worth the money?

I get an occasional spit of blue flame from exhaust. Part of the overrun tune, so yes it is possible with just a tune. I like it. Doesn't happen very often and is mostly only noticeable at night with no cars behind me (I see the flash in my rear view :) ). (edit: it might happen more often but I just don't notice, might be happening every time I get that popping on throttle release, for all I know).
If I had a cat I suspect it would melt it quite quickly.

As for the chav chariots & boy ricers with their flamer kits and stickers.... They retain their look of ignorance. I say ignorance as they are trying to achieve a look found on the track with cars that have no place there; they don't know better. They impress others in the McDonald's car park, those who don't know better, but an actual petrolhead knows better.

Last edited:
My daughters boyfriend waaaay back had a peripheral ported RX3 that almost lit up a whole suburb when he got up it and backed off to swap gears:eek:.

I guess that it also was a powerful deterrent to tailgaters as well.:rofl: