Fine for engine idling...

That story is a month early.
thd5e1cf5e.gif

its been in force for a little while. 1st seen it the beginning of november just as we were hitting the cold snap. now they say it isnt a money making sceme but they bring it in just as winter starts when alot of people will start their cars and wait for them to defrost. thus liable for this fine

Utter stupidity. My car has front and back heated screens so I leave it Idling to clear the windows.
What would they like me to do? Drive off with no visibilty and then wait for the screen to clear whilst driving. Insane.

It is silly. No-one wants to burn fuel needlessly. But having vision is essential.

Let's say you started the engine and drove straight off - unable to see through an iced up and misted screen - killing four pedestrians as a direct result of having no vision.

I'm quite sure the relatives of those four fatalities would not take much solace in the fact that you saved the environment from a couple of micrograms of needless CO2.

I doubt that you'll feel too good about yourself. I very much doubt that the Her Majesty's Courts Service would grant you much leniency when it comes to sentencing for causing death by dangerous driving.

What an insane (thanks, TN, for that word) situation.

What a stupid country it is in which we live. Governed by stupid mindless F.W.s like GORDON BROWN!!!!!

There is, of course, one way to avoid idling - place the footwell mat on the pedal and let it bounce off the rev limiter at 7000+ rpm :)

Furthermore, who cares anyway? If it's cold enough that your car needs 4-5 minutes to warm up then global warming CANNOT be a particularly big deal, can it?

Last edited:
What gets me is the fact the Councils and Governments in the UK don't think we can wipe our own backsides without being given instructions. They want to tell us everything we can and cannot do and in what order we have to do it.

We pay tax on the fuel. If I want to burn it... that's for me to choose.

Its like if somebody climbs up a plyon and fries them-self and there was no sign at the bottom saying "Danger of Death" then immediately everyone goes wild because we think he couldn't possibly have figure it out for his or her self..

Wandering around Europe you see open railway lines crossing the road and yet everybody manages to figure out for themselves "don't cross when the massive bright red train is coming". In the UK... that'd never happen.

The health and safety culture has gone mad. Common sense is no longer built into the equation and is legislated for instead!

So what would happen say on a Motorway if it was blocked and traffic is backed up? Would all the thousands of motorists get a fine if they didn't switch off their engines?

Catalytic converters are only efficient when hot, has anyone considered that aspect ? They don't take very long at all to lose heat efficiency. Therefore stop start syndrome is more dangerous to the elements than running a hot engine on idle. It is also more expensive by the amount of fuel used.

Not to mention trashing turbochargers which do not like being starved of oil flow when red hot.

No one's stopped to consider the environmental impact of making replacement turbochargers, have they?

Of course not! Because this country is governed by morons.!