failed on emissions...additive?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
my mx5 failed on emissions yesterday (co2) I have 10 days for a free retest. the cat was replaced for the last mot. is there an additive for.petrol emissions that actually works. I just want to scrape through prefably without buying sensors etc, cheers

How friendly are the garage with you?

When my Leon was just over the mot tester told me to go and give the car a bit of a foot down moment for about 15 minutes. I did as instructed came back and when the car went back on the tester it passed!

I would recommend BG44k, try some superunleaded as well this might help a bit with a cleaner burn.

Pro Ma additives have been university tested and proved to lower emissions and it is available in the UK

FWIW I would use an engine flush and new oil with MBL additive and ONE SHOT in the tank and drive the car to get everything clean then top up the tank with the PT5 fuel additive and drive it as much as possible before retesting

Here you go http://www.pro-masystems.co.uk/DepartmentProductMenus/Performance/FuelAdditives.aspx

FWIW 2 I have used them and still do in my 400hp turbo track car and my DD 4X4 diesel turbo

Last edited:
I think Aston is looking at fuel additives here.

One Shot and PT5 are petrol fuel additives DT5 is diesel fuel additive ;)

For the best results I recommended a complete treatment that included the motor internals as well with fuel treatment for the best end result .

I advised an engine flush as the oil control rings may be carbon-ed up and that will reduce their ability to control/prevent oil burning that will increase harmful emissions

No additive can fix mechanical defects or a motor that is long overdue for an overhaul

well I took a gamble and tried catoclean......don't waste your money. didn't even make a.fraction of a.percent difference

Aston may I suggest you try PRO MA products that I have used in both my cars for many years ??
They have been INDEPENDANTLY UNIVERSITY TESTED PRODUCTS ,not cheap BUT with proven documented results from testing carried out by qualified engineers.

Anecdotal recommendations for any product should always be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

Last edited: