Exhaust pipe volume

hondacivicfd1

Wrench Pro
Car
Mitsubishi EVO X MT
Hello, did a quick search and did not found anything on this. Hoping to get assistance on exos matter. New in the game :)

I am driving an 8th Gen Civic (2008). Its 1.8 AT and would like to find out what is the best increment size for the exhaust piping to increase horsepower.

25% or 50% or x%?

Thanks.

James

Myself (as i've dne it to most of my cars) is to usually go about 30-40% bigger and make the entire system the same bore to allopw gases to flow perfectly. But to get the most from exhaust work, you should realy get the manifold, downpipe and whole system made up ;)

Myself (as i've dne it to most of my cars) is to usually go about 30-40% bigger and make the entire system the same bore to allopw gases to flow perfectly. But to get the most from exhaust work, you should realy get the manifold, downpipe and whole system made up ;)

Hello Bad63R. Thanks for sharing. Am really a newbie in this. So should look at Manifold and downpipe as well. In Singapore, we cannot de-kat as it would be illegal to drive the car. Is this the same in the UK? Thanks.

James

Yes and no lol. Strictly speaking you shouldn't have a de-cat if it wont pass emissions but most peeps just either replace the cat for MOTs or just bya performance cat with less cells inside to allow better air flow. Usually the average cat is 400-500 cells. But there are sports cats that have 200 cells that will pass the emmisions, and still be a good performance mod if you are having the entire exhaust done.

Heres a good example of the manifold and downpipe all in one ;)

Click here for link

The above is purly an example but there is plenty on the market so heres what I would do. Exhaust manifold and downpipe to match, then get a sports cat that is the same bore size, then get yourself a nice system from the cat back, that is also the same size bore. You can choose which back box you want. Fit yourself a nice panel filter or sealded cone filter, then take yourself to a good respectable tuning place that has good knowledge of remapping V-Tec's and you'll be looking at some nice gains ;)

Yes and no lol. Strictly speaking you shouldn't have a de-cat if it wont pass emissions but most peeps just either replace the cat for MOTs or just bya performance cat with less cells inside to allow better air flow. Usually the average cat is 400-500 cells. But there are sports cats that have 200 cells that will pass the emmisions, and still be a good performance mod if you are having the entire exhaust done. ;)

I suggest that you check your emission regs as they are probably different to ours and you may find a sports cat won't pass your test.

I suggest that you check your emission regs as they are probably different to ours and you may find a sports cat won't pass your test.

Hey Mate, thanks for the heads up. Will check before committing. Singapore is a "fine" city. You get fine for almost anything :)

Yes and no lol. Strictly speaking you shouldn't have a de-cat if it wont pass emissions but most peeps just either replace the cat for MOTs or just bya performance cat with less cells inside to allow better air flow. Usually the average cat is 400-500 cells. But there are sports cats that have 200 cells that will pass the emmisions, and still be a good performance mod if you are having the entire exhaust done.

Heres a good example of the manifold and downpipe all in one ;)

Click here for link

The above is purly an example but there is plenty on the market so heres what I would do. Exhaust manifold and downpipe to match, then get a sports cat that is the same bore size, then get yourself a nice system from the cat back, that is also the same size bore. You can choose which back box you want. Fit yourself a nice panel filter or sealded cone filter, then take yourself to a good respectable tuning place that has good knowledge of remapping V-Tec's and you'll be looking at some nice gains ;)

You did ti again badger, I will have sleepless nights with these inspirations. LOL. Yes, I have been speaking with our local supplier about these. The branded ones will cost me about SGD 1 - 2 K. But should be good to have. Cheers.