Engine Swaps.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Hi all,

Just a few questions on engine swaps (and they may seem abit silly!)

OK, well I have read the article regarding engine swaps but I am still abit confused. It says that any engine can go into any car, as long as there is room, but what desides there is room? Is it just the dimensions, anything that might have to be added on aswell or just gererally being able to squeeze it all in.

Also, would it be possible to do an engine swap, but put the new engine in the place of the boot and back seats? I just that you could do this and then the size of the engine wouldn't be a massive problem, or is this just me being silly?

It just seems to me that you could put a Lambo eninge (for arguements sake) into a Astra (also for arguements sake) if there is enough room, but I'm almost certian it will never be as easy as that, as I am guessing that the location of all pipes (say for the radiator) and the position of everything is different in every car.

Thanks guys (and girls ;))

Corey.

It's as you say, nowhere near as easy as some people suggest.

It's something I'd never bother with, just buy a car with the engine you want in the first place.

yup any engine in any car will go provided there is the space for it - you might find it very un cost effective for some - like your example above
sticking a bigger engine from the same manufacture will be easier than say sticking a honda engine in a fiat. can be done but alot of work

anything can be done if you know what you are doing
way i see it if you have to ask dont think about doing it

some jobs ya ask but swaping engines ect no

as i keep saying if you want to get a faster engine in your motor buy one that is faster

As for the issue of putting in an engine in place of the rear seats, possible, though you will have to consider the re-location of the gearbox and changing the layout to RWD (Ive never heard of a rear engined front wheel drive car, though im sure its possible with some differential wizardry), youll have to re -engineer the steering as well, plus you would want some soundproofing and structural reinforcment to separate you from whatever beast you decide to fill the rear of the car with, the cost would most likley outweigh the benifit of the conversion though, so you would be better off buying a better car with the cash. my advice, if you do it , stick with the same companies engines, in the same place as the old ones.

Oh, and dont forget to uprate the brakes and suspension too.

older school cars are easier to do it on. more modern cars need the immobilisers removed or reprogrammed - not exactly but like everything you need to know what your doing

the worst thing about it, i find, is the wiring especially if you trying to upgrade the engine. Did this on a Pug 205 and it was a complete pig as the engine and loom were coming out of a crashed motor to replace a 1.0l so we had to change all. took days to get it running.