Engine rebuild??

projectbimmers

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ti m44
Forgive my ignorance. GREEN NEWBIE here. BMW m44 1.9L motor. 165k and runnin. The engine is maintained for the most part. No abuse, no race or track runs (yet...) Im planning to supercharge the motor soon but it occured to me that I may have to rebuild it first.

Then i thought, rebuild? Dude, u dont even know how to do that. Yea I dont, so what. Problem is as I researched whats involved I see it aint really much I can do. I have no clue where to even source parts for an m44 motor. Where would u get new parts for that. That motor is old af and I dont think its popular enough to have a bunch of aftermarket support for rebuild kits.

Anything u guys thiink I could do besides gettin new parts for a rebuild? My thoughs are just to pull the motor, give a thorough cleaning. pelace all seals and gaskets with new ones and resurface the head to be sure its flat to factory spec and call it a day. Put it back together, oil it up and add the supercharger.

Make any sense, or nah?

IF you go forced induction then for peace of mind I wuold refreash the motor with new forged rods and pistons that will be stronger and most likely lighter along with new rings and bearings and a fully recoed head with some port matching of the manifolds.

Do it once and do it right.

On second thoughts why not forget the charger and drop in a 3.2 M3 motor and trans ?:D

I'm definitely gonna do an engine swap, way too involved for my first go around. Not to mention how much more that would cost. Not in my budget or timeframe.

I will look into forged rods however. Maybe a machine shop around here can give me some insight.

On some BMW motors you can swap out the head and bottom end effectively increasing capacity and power, it might be an easy mid way option for you.

Forgive my ignorance. GREEN NEWBIE here. BMW m44 1.9L motor. 165k and runnin. The engine is maintained for the most part. No abuse, no race or track runs (yet...) Im planning to supercharge the motor soon but it occured to me that I may have to rebuild it first.

Then i thought, rebuild? Dude, u dont even know how to do that. Yea I dont, so what. Problem is as I researched whats involved I see it aint really much I can do. I have no clue where to even source parts for an m44 motor. Where would u get new parts for that. That motor is old af and I dont think its popular enough to have a bunch of aftermarket support for rebuild kits.

Anything u guys thiink I could do besides gettin new parts for a rebuild? My thoughs are just to pull the motor, give a thorough cleaning. pelace all seals and gaskets with new ones and resurface the head to be sure its flat to factory spec and call it a day. Put it back together, oil it up and add the supercharger.

Make any sense, or nah?
You will need time and patience, and most of all a worksop manual to get you through the grizzly parts of the job. Above all, I hope you have a clean room to work in and very deep pockets.... My recommendation : spend six months researching the job. Make a database, list your objectives, record your findings. Where can you get the necessary parts, check part numbers and costs. This kind of work is advanced engineering, so you are going to need to be switched on, especially as a noob. I reckon as a ball park figure, buy the time you've had the machine work done, forged pistons, rods, a rebalance, bearings, heavy duty clutch if a manual, the charger and pulleys, plus fitting a quality intercooler and all the plumbing, dyno work and a custom ecu, you ain't going to have much change out of 6 to 8 grand, and then you could do more.... Its a mammoth task my friend. Not just a case of getting a charger a bolting it on over a couple of weekends. There is a lot to consider, especially lowering compression, providing more air, more fuel, extra cooling, and so it goes. Probably better to go the engine swap route to be honest, and as a noob, that will be taxing enough for sure. Its not like the old days when you could do an engine swap on a Saturday..... Good luck though.