Dynomat? Exaust sound in cabin too loud

The Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers create an exhaust note that is too loud in the cabin of my X-Type. Has anyone experience with Dynomat sound deadening material put in their trunk/boot? Does this product work well?

Have you used a rubber or metal mount on the exhaust?

Dynomat should do a good job at deadening the sound if the sound waves are coming from the exhaust walls. If the sound is resonating from the rear of the exhaust then I doubt anything will quieten it down much.

I'm sure the mufflers are insulated by rubber mounts. What do you mean by exhaust walls (pipe?)? or rear of exhaust (outlet pipe?)?

Thanks

Think of the exhaust like a cannon. Most of the sound will probably shoot straight out of the hole at the end of the barrel. Some sound will travel at a tangent straight through the sides of the barrel.

The best way I know of to silence a noisy exhaust is to add more baffles or sound deadening inside the silencer itself or add an expansion box nearer to the engine.

There's various spray-on & heavier weight products that will probably do the job, but a the trade off will be weight. A thick insulating carpet will put a good few kilo's on your car. I wonder if filling any voids, with an expanding foam might help reduce resonance possibly? :?
It might be cheaper & easier to buy some of these! :lol:

Taper-Fit_Ear_Plugs.jpg

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back