Driving test-examiners are idiots!!

puntoD

Torque Junkie
Car
mk II Punto 1.9
took my test today.

I got 3 Minors! i was impressed.

anyway 2 misn into the test.ok dave take the 3rd exit on the round abotu please.

thats all he said

so we have

roundabout 3

2 4

me

numbers are exits.

i aproached in the left hand lane signalled right etc, looks over shoulder safley moved over.

david that was actually the wrogn exit. in the cockiest voice you have ever heard.

oh....... . i took the 3rd exit btw. anyways get back to the station and after being told id dailed and restraining myself from putting the examiners head through the wondow my instructor took me home, and was liek " omg wait a sec, he was in the wrong. you cant even be failed for the wrong exit anyway!!!!!!

he wasnt from the area so clearly didnt no #!#!#!#! and he looked liek steven hawkins sounded the same to,. i am deeply upset and angry about this.

Is there anything i can do??

the numbers didnt come out how they shuold have

......................me

fail.jpg

Any better?

spot on bud. he said to me 3rd exit. in his head he ment 4th and he failed me for that. like thats not actually allowed is it?

Not at all as long as you did it all safely, mirrors, signalled, correct road position etc. You can't fail for that so what exactly did he fail you for in the end?

Tbh, I'd make a complaint if it was me. Nothing will come of it and they won't reverse the decision, but I'm an arse like that.

I would defo appeal,

what were your minors for? what does it say you actually failed on?

as far as i can remember cant you have up to 15 minors but anything that is classed as dangerous (putting yourself or other road users at risk) is an major and instant fail, so even if you did actually take wrong exit as long as you did it in a safe/correct manner then he cant fail you on it.

surely if all he actually failed you on was the roundabout situation and rest of the test was ok then you might get lucky, worth a try, you havent got anything to lose really have you!

write a really polite letter saying why you think the incorrect decision was made, you have more chance of it getting delt with if its extreamly polite and not just ranting slating the examiner. See if your instructor will co sign it with you (might help)

good luck

Last edited:
minors were for. control while reversing round a courner, which was stupid, i didnt even use the gas pedal for the whole manouver as it was diesel. gears and cnt remember the last one. I know il sound liek every other person here but i can drive, al ot better than a lot of road user to. iv beeen learnign for well over a year now i jsut kept driving in my/ parents cars but never really booked my test as i cba with theory and what not.

he sheet i got at the end i think said a serious on signallng? which was bull#!#!#!#!, i wasi nthe right line, then moved into the middle after checking blind spot and signllaing. at the end of the day people are people and some people are knobs. the instructor was clearly in the wrong and he doesnt want to admit. I mean i rolled back when we came back to the round about cuz he really shook me up when he said "err tahts the wrong exit" foot was shaking like a bitch lol, and he didnt even minor me for it, so imo i should have 4 minors. but yeah my instructor would back me on it. i know the chances of passing are slim with appealing but yeah, worth a shot

The most you;ll get from an appeal is a refund of your test fee..

If can't hold it together for 45 minutes or so then msybe you;re not quite ready to take your test.

You'll pass the test very soon.
Try not to let it play on your mind.

it's not the end of the world.

MA, spot on, i'd make a formal complaint, and then push them - they probably wont respond to the first letter so send another one but just make sure it goes to the right people. And as 2f2c says, dont go calling him a twat as this wont get very far. If anything at least you might get your fee back,

MA, spot on, i'd make a formal complaint, and then push them - they probably wont respond to the first letter so send another one but just make sure it goes to the right people. And as 2f2c says, dont go calling him a twat as this wont get very far. If anything at least you might get your fee back,
And then when you go for your next test they'll think "Ahh there's that Tw*t who sent that complaint in" and look for the smallest thing to fail you on.

claymore, so you propose to bend over and just let them get away with it? just my opinion but i couldnt do that, i would have to kick up a fuss.

claymore, so you propose to bend over and just let them get away with it? just my opinion but i couldnt do that, i would have to kick up a fuss.
at the end of the day, he can't prove the examiner said third or fourth exit, so he's on a hiding to nothing.

These things happen. It is really gutty. "Life" as my mum always said "is unfair" ;). I feel for you on this - I really do but I have to agree with Claymore about rude complainers getting short shrift next time round.

It's like when you complain about food in a restaurant, you never know what the chef/waitress will do to the replacement they bring out. Keep it polite though and state your reasons clearly and consicely. If I were you i'd request a retest or refund.

Statistically you will be a better driver! Crazy I know but first time passers statistically have more accidents. Learn from the experience and move on. Next time round question him - do you mean the Canterbury A645 exit, confirm you've heard him also repeat (third exit, straight ahead)?

i suppose your right as much ass i would like to kick upa fuss when it comes to things like this it doesnt get you very far. im boking it in a different area next time, there some dates for around the tenth of augast. so hope all goes well. I dont see any harm in writing them a letter then :/. yeah think il do that 60 quid is a full tank of diesel or some nice 6x9's :D

The appeal will certainly get your fee refunded. They won't be able to overturn the examiner's decision.

He might well be seconded and have his own standards re-examined as well. Sadly, you'll never know if this actually happens.

The most you;ll get from an appeal is a refund of your test fee..

If can't hold it together for 45 minutes or so then msybe you;re not quite ready to take your test.

You'll pass the test very soon.
Try not to let it play on your mind.

it's not the end of the world.

i think the point everyone is trying to make about complaining is that far too many people in this country are all for having a rant about stuff but not doing anything about it, personally if you have a grievance about something then stand up and do something about it.

at the end of the day it doesnt take long to write a polite letter and he has nothing to lose in doing so.

Driving/motorcycle tests are nerve racking anyway, its not a case of him not being ready, if he wasnt then his instructor wouldnt have allowed him to do his test as its his job to make sure you are fit to be on the road on your own before going in for your test, but if the examiner has been arrogant or cocky in anyway then its only natural for him to become a bit nervous.

Yes the 'most' he might get from complaining is a refund but £62-£75 is alot of money to some people!

I need to revoke my earlier comment about not being quite ready, for the following reasons:

1. I had Not read the preceding posts fully; and;

2. I wasn't present at the time so I had no right to comment anyway.

Please accept my apology.

Let's hope you get your test fee refunded swiftly. I'm out of touch and didn't realise that the price for a driving test is as high as it now is!

In addition you're going to have to carry on pracitising as a learner, which still comes at a cost to you. Unfortunately you're unlikely to get any refund for this but it might be worth a try. The CAB is a good place to start, although I suspect that the DSA has some sort of statutory defence against such claims.

How's the driving going, besides? Hopefully you've not become disillusioned or lost confidence as a result of this rather disappointing situation.

As far as I'm aware driving examiners are regularly tested anyway so this should help your bloke's retest some way up the list. If he cannot give clear instructions in good time then he's not fit to assess the driving of others. I gives incorrect instructions then maybe he should re-take his own driving test.

Unlike urban myths suggest there are no pass/fail quotas which have to be met but I imagine that the DSA will react pretty quickly if complaints are received about a certain examiner.

Good luck - don't get too jaded mate.

I need to revoke my earlier comment about not being quite ready, for the following reasons:

1. I had Not read the preceding posts fully; and;

2. I wasn't present at the time so I had no right to comment anyway.

Please accept my apology.

Let's hope you get your test fee refunded swiftly. I'm out of touch and didn't realise that the price for a driving test is as high as it now is!

In addition you're going to have to carry on pracitising as a learner, which still comes at a cost to you. Unfortunately you're unlikely to get any refund for this but it might be worth a try. The CAB is a good place to start, although I suspect that the DSA has some sort of statutory defence against such claims.

How's the driving going, besides? Hopefully you've not become disillusioned or lost confidence as a result of this rather disappointing situation.

As far as I'm aware driving examiners are regularly tested anyway so this should help your bloke's retest some way up the list. If he cannot give clear instructions in good time then he's not fit to assess the driving of others. I gives incorrect instructions then maybe he should re-take his own driving test.

Unlike urban myths suggest there are no pass/fail quotas which have to be met but I imagine that the DSA will react pretty quickly if complaints are received about a certain examiner.

Good luck - don't get too jaded mate.

Hey hdi, thanks for apology and no worries :). the driving going good, went out a fair bit today, To my amazment. i jsut naturally check my mirros every time i should now, i drove liek i would on the test, except the feeding, which i think is dangerous. as my instructor 3 minors is pretty impresseive, so i have somthing to be glad about i suppose. and good look ben mate. hope it goes better than mine! :)

that post i put with the link is hilarious, (not for the girl, about the examiner)

Hey hdi, thanks for apology and no worries :). the driving going good, went out a fair bit today, To my amazment. i jsut naturally check my mirros every time i should now, i drove liek i would on the test, except the feeding, which i think is dangerous. as my instructor 3 minors is pretty impresseive, so i have somthing to be glad about i suppose. and good look ben mate. hope it goes better than mine! :)

that post i put with the link is hilarious, (not for the girl, about the examiner)

I took two hours of driving instruction yesterday - i was involved in a main road accident exactly four weeks ago. My 406 is totally written off, so it the BMW 5 series saloon that drove right across me from a side junction on a 60mph road.

Thankfully nothing more than very minor and superficial injuries to all involved. No one was in hospital for more than 12 hours.

But the 2 car crash looked horrific from the outside. Even air-ambulances were called. Both were sent away empty once the road borne type of ambulances finally arrived.

Sometimes accidents are just that, accidents.

All involved were lucky to get away with no more than a few cuts from flying glass and a few bruises.

I'm not religious, but I'm just hitting that point where I wonder if don't believe after all.

Let's not dwell on that, let's be thankful that no-one's family was destroyed.