Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs

And how to park.

As the majority of car crash claims I have to deal with are from two drivers reversing from a parking bay a the same time, I fully applaud the instruction, and testing, on how to use car parks.

I think this is a good thing. Too many people cannot use the basic functions of a Sat nav and modern driving pretty much requires this.

A longer practical assessment would be good.

I think drivers should also have a reaction/reflex test. There are I am sure some drivers out there who just phsically cannot react quickly enough to be a safe driver.

I agree in part that some can't react quickly enough as that covers the elderly and impaired (whether through drink or drugs) as that's what causes their accidents. However, I believe a lot of people are just not conscious/observant enough of what is happening around them. I pretty much always know what someone is going to do before they do it, half the time before they do I think. For instance people approaching the back of traffic on a motorway, I see it happen, slow and flash them out, they pay zero attention, I move on and they either indicate when I get next to them or after I've passed them. I knew you wanted/needed to do it, why didn't you?! Just a small example but people on roundabouts, at lights, the list goes on. Half the time you bray your horn and they *#*#*#*# themselves as they never even noticed you existed. I do find a lot of drivers offensively stupid. Rant over. :p

I see it happen, slow and flash them out,
From the perspective of someone who deals with insurance claims - please stop doing this part.
A flash of the headlights is meant to be a visual warning of your presence, nothing else. Your intended target may not see your flash but someone else could, someone you may not have seen, someone who suddenly pulls out, changes lanes, or whatever in front of you. And when asked why? Because you "flashed them out".

The Highway Code states: ‘Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.’
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/flashing-headlights.html
WHEN SHOULD YOU NOT FLASH HEADLIGHTS
Flashing headlights is all too common and is actually more dangerous than many of us think. There are many scenarios where this can prove dangerous and this is just one example that happens relatively frequently.

Flashing your headlights to another vehicle to allow them to proceed can be dangerous

As illustrated in the diagram, the yellow car is waiting to pull out of a T-junction to turn right into a busy road. The red car flashes their headlights to let the driver of the yellow car know that they can proceed. It’s being courteous and polite of the red car to do this, the problem is however, the driver of the yellow car does not want to impede the progress of the red car (or any others) and so makes a hasty exit of the T-junction into position in front of the red car. In the yellow cars speedy exit from the T-junction, they failed to see the cyclist approaching from the right.

This situation can apply to flashing a pedestrian to cross the road or at a Zebra crossing, a cyclist to cross the road or exit a junction or many other situations. The problem is that when you flash headlights to signify that someone may proceed, they often react on impulse almost as though they have been given an order. They then take the safety out of their own hands and puts it into the driver who flashed their lights.

The correct procedure, if you intend on being courteous and letting someone cross or out of a junction is to slow down (if safe to do so) and allow a large enough gap for them to move into or cross and to not signal to them to proceed at all. They will use their own initiative to take this opportunity and to use the correct observation before proceeding. If you really are a persistent headlight flasher, before spontaneously flashing someone, try to ensure it is safe for them to proceed before flashing.
My rant over :lol:

I'm well aware what they're supposed to be used for, the fact is that people use them for the purpose I stated. As I also said I'm more than aware of everyone on the road and their intentions and actions so I don't really see any detriment to myself as I know what's around me. Regardless my point still stands. People need to be more observant/aware

I for one would like to see included in the test the following
1 how to merge at speed onto a motorway
2 an emergency lane change similar to the "moose test"
3 an emergency stop on wet and dry surfaces
4 an emergency lane change using the brakes to stop in the lane.
5 the learner being able to have a basic knowledge of how to check and maintain the car ie tyre pressures,radiator and washer levels .oil,brake /clutch resivor levels and how to check that all lights are working.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose_test

Last edited: