Does MPG matter to you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does the MPG of the car really matter that much to you? Does MPG become irrelevant if you only do a few 1000 miles per year?

I was just looking at the bargains around at the moment. Pretty much any car with sub 25mpg is being given away, but are they bargains or will the hidden costs catch up with you?

If you're a low mileage driver (or a high mileage one but don't care too much about fuel economy) then there are some superb bargains to be had.

I'd snap 'em up personally.

It only concerns me when I see the cost per litre rising as it did a while ago. Other than that I try not to worry too much as it only ruins the driving pleasure of such cars.

It matters a bit when you are, like me, a student who doesn't have that much money between your hands but I would rather have a fun car to drive and maby cut down on using the car for the short trips that you can go on foot, than have a car that you don't really get that much of a pleasure out of but goes further on the tank

Relative,

thankfully fuel here for example is £1.10 an imperial gallon, or $1.45eud for 4.546 litres (95 RON UL).
Though I agree with the sentiments above. ^^^^

Can you send us over a few gallons of fuel then sid? ;)

Around 70% of the cost of fuel in the UK is taken in TAXES.

I think we all want a supereconomy switch for those long boring runs and a fun sports switch for when we want to have a good drive. Makers are getting close, even the new Mito has a sport button setting.;)

Ideally I'd like a nutty thirsty car for playtime & reasonable MPG car for day to day travelling. But until then I'm happy to put up with a slightly thirsty car, with a small petrol tank so it just seems I'm using more fuel! :confused::rolleyes::lol:

it all depends on how deep your pockets are daily runners are my 87 323 1.6 turbo and my 96 impreza.
and we go everywhere!!! :)

For me, I prefer a compromise between power and fuel efficiency, but the thing which governs most of all what I'd buy (as a young and new driver) is whether I would be able to afford the insurance costs on that car. So i would look for the fastest car which falls in that insurance group, and normally that would mean a car with fairly high MPG as small engines tend to be more efficient.

my ideal car would be the alfa mito 1.4 turbo does 0-60 in 8 seconds but still gets 40+ mpg if driven sensibly.