Does MPG matter that much

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
When looking around at cars I'm not sure MPG counts for very much in the average years driving.

Is there a calculator to compare the cost of a years driving at different mpg levels? From some manual calculations the difference between 40mpg and 30mpg is only around £300 a year for a lower milage driver!

Surely paying out for a newer more economical car or getting a diesel is a false economy?

When looking around at cars I'm not sure MPG counts for very much in the average years driving.

Is there a calculator to compare the cost of a years driving at different mpg levels? From some manual calculations the difference between 40mpg and 30mpg is only around £300 a year for a lower milage driver!

Surely paying out for a newer more economical car or getting a diesel is a false economy?

Buying a new car for economy is never going to save money. Depreciation is the biggest killer with new cars.

Diesel is not outstandingly economical long term either. The real world servicing costs mount up if you kep your cars for years like I do.

Driving style is the biggest factor. I am not a slow driver, much the reverse - I'm swift and purposeful yet I see a reliable 31-32mpg in general usage and have had 38+ mpg on longer runs.

If I was buying new now I would elect for the diesel route because I like the immense midrange grunt but I wouldn't expect to save much money running a 530d over a similarly powered and weighty petrol car.

Have a play with our MPG calculator

at £1.40 per litre

MPG @ 12,000 miles , 9000 miles

33.17 = £2302 , £1726
35.14 = £2173 , £1629
36.86 = £2072 , £1544
40.55 = £1844 , £1383

It does depend on mileage and the graph is exponentially worse (annualy) as MPG decreases.

I'm going to plot it on a graph now to see. If I can be that bothered!

Anyhoo it will be worse, and even worserer the lower the MPG gets ;).

For it to matter these days you either have to pick something very very economical OR do a lot of miles.

It's not all about driving style, I've had 66mpg out of the Zetractor, no matter how hard I try I'll probbaly struggle to get half that out of the RS.

The fuel is a relatively small cost of car ownership despite the heavy taxes and rising costs.

Depreciation/Servicing/Tyres and Repairs can easily top £2000 a year. The winners are those with older cars where there is not a lot left to depreciate.

The fuel is a relatively small cost of car ownership despite the heavy taxes and rising costs.

Depreciation/Servicing/Tyres and Repairs can easily top £2000 a year. The winners are those with older cars where there is not a lot left to depreciate.

You speek for your self Waynne :D, my fuel is my biggest cost! As I got my motor for such a good price, I dont have to worry about depreciation (if I sell within the next 4 months or so). Servicing/Tyres comes to about £1000 a year. Where as I spent about £40 a week on fuel witch comes to over £2000 and that is without any long trips down south, so I would say I spend about £3500 a year on fuel.

Mind, saying that, I didn't buy the car for the Eco side of things ;)

It anoyes me when people buy WRX's or Evo's then moan about fuel econamy saying they only get 20mpg on a good run. Then never give lifts to people becuase it would cost to much. IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH THE MPG YOUR GETTING, THEN WHY BUY THE CAR??

MPG - who cares, although as HDi points out it is also down to driving style. I get 20 (or less than) on the Scooby (and BBJ, am not complaining). but my dad can get around 25mpg.
Again, petrol is the biggest cost for me by a long way. (although the damn brakes are costing a bit at he moment).

depreciation is the killer like hdi said, A friend bought a new audi 1.9 diesel ran it for 5 years sold it, lost so much money I worked out he could have bought an xjr jag second hand, done the same miles and lost no more money than the diesel after the 5 years

This is why I laf at people who take out loans for cars. There loan amount will be 10k. Total repayment over 5 years will be about 12K. That is 12K for a car that by the time they come to sell will be worth 3K. Its madness. I know someone who took out a loan (19k) to buy a BMW 1 seriese! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dumb bugger. Its now probably worth the same amount as doing a weekly shop in Aldi!!!!! :D