Does car insurance cover ICE?

I2EBORN

Car
Fiat Punto
I saw some of you discussing ICE in regards to insurance.

If you are going to put in some 6x9s, amplifier and new headunit will you need to tell them and what effect would it have on the cost of your insurance?

It's not like im going to have plasma screens and thousands of pounds worth of electricals in the back. At most it will add up to 250 quid.

Re: Car Insurance for modified cars - tips and a guide

Some policies allow an amount for Aftermarket ICE as standard, mine has a £1500 limit which is more than enough for me!

As you say though it is worth checking if its covered and is definately worth paying a little more to get the cover.;)

Mine is covered to 5k and if I want different alloys for the car as long as I don't value them over 1k they don't mind. Dunno what they will be like with other mods though. I am seriously considering the rear anti-roll bar and front strut brace for the vRS after reading many reviews it is a worthwhile addition. Someone I know added one to his Astra VXR Nurburgring and it transformed the car!

Some policies allow an amount for Aftermarket ICE as standard, mine has a £1500 limit which is more than enough for me!

As you say though it is worth checking if its covered and is definately worth paying a little more to get the cover.;)

So my policy has a £1000 pound limit. So as long as my install adds up to less than this I don't have to declare it?

You should be ok but do check the policy wording. Some state "head unit only" others state "In Car entertainment and navigation equipment". It does vary from insurer to insurer.

You should be ok but do check the policy wording. Some state "head unit only" others state "In Car entertainment and navigation equipment". It does vary from insurer to insurer.

It does state "In car entertainment". I just thought it was included in the policy thats all. I'm not that worried about it if i'm honest....

After doing some thinking today and adding all the bits up individually as I don't think insurers would take into account that I got package deals. I would imagine them to price everything up separately. So after adding it all up it comes to around £950.....Ooooopps. I may give Churchil a ring soon as i'm planning on upgrading it soon so the value will be more than my limit....

All should cover OEM factory kit. Most will cover aftermarket systems to a four figure sum.

THe reason for the hike in premiums is the damage done to the car whilst trying to gain access to the desireable and saleable ICE.