Do sports exhausts /mods reduce the cars value?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've notice that a few people are put off buying a car if it has a sports exhaust or other signs of a "boy racer" owner. Even if a person plans to put these items on a car themselves they shy away from buying one.

Do you think that mods reduce the value of a car? Which mods do you think would have the worst effect on the value of the car?

i recently had a saxo vtr with full stainless exhausts full koni suspension and 16" wheels and a splitter on the rear went to look at another car to buy and the garage said i would have to take all my items off before they could take it in i was that raging that i changed my mind about another car and kept the saxo. i think anything at all on your car and most people would run a mile no matter how much you have spent on it even if it is your pride and joy

Its actually depends on what modifications you have done to your car.The buyer usually loves to get a stock car which they pay for because they believe that when your car is stock,you are not describe as a "boy racer" type.As for buyer who loves racing,they would definitely go for fully modification cars and they really will pay for what they get.

in most cases it would reduce the cars value. garages defenintly would give you a lower price for it.
but, using the term the best way i can, boy racers are more likley to buy modified cars so they can save them selfs some time and cash

Personally, I didn't want to buy a modified car because I wanted to choose all the mods myself! It also depends on the buyer though, for example some buyers may recognise something that boosts performance.

This I think show the fact that personalisation of cars is umm personal. ;) We like to set things up ourselves. I think if a car had been fully race prepped I would pay a slight premium for it but the owner would still be losing £1000's of what he paid for the mods. ;)

You usually see the add "baby forces sale - gutted" alternatively it keeps breaking and they are so fed up with it they sell it.

This is part of the reason I'm not doing any major mods on my car (The other reason being money :p )

I only intend to keep it for another year or so, and want to get as much as I can for it so I can afford something I want to keep for a long time. Then I will modify that one ;)