Do shock tactics work

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does showing young drivers and convicted speeders the results of road accidents work?

I know a few forces were trialling this and showing pictures and car accident exhibitions but I've not heard anything since.

Did they work?

In my opinion it wouldn't work with me because most of the serious accidents are caused by fools being idiots behind the wheel. I don't think it would work but thats just my opinion

I don't think it works. We have those tv ads showing the difference speed makes to someone that's hit by a car but you still see stupid drivers racing past schools. We also have those signs by the side of the road saying 'x people have died on this road in the last 3 years'. But all they do is distract you from driving.

The most compelling thing is to put yourself in the position of a Police Officer who has to go and inform parents of the death of a child that was caused by a speeding driver. Sometimes one's own imagery is worth far more than explicit photography.

The most compelling thing is to put yourself in the position of a Police Officer who has to go and inform parents of the death of a child that was caused by a speeding driver. Sometimes one's own imagery is worth far more than explicit photography.

My #1 son has had to do that very same thing.

IMO way too many seem to think that it is every body else that the road safety messages are aimed at.

IMO way too many seem to think that it is every body else that the road safety messages are aimed at.
This also goes for wearing seatbelts and pretty much any advice. Everyone is beyond or better and thinks they can do better without heeding the advice.